SASS Wire Forum

What does this mean?

Lots of large SASS match registration forms have this printed somewhere on them.

All shooters must be SASS members in good standing.

What the heck is this supposed to mean?  Has anyone ever met a SASS member in bad standing?

In good standing means that all required obligations of the association are satisfied and no sanctions or disciplinary actions are outstanding.   

15 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Lots of large SASS match registration forms have this printed somewhere on them.

All shooters must be SASS members in good standing.

What the heck is this supposed to mean?  Has anyone ever met a SASS member in bad standing?

Dues paid up= good standing.

If your dues aren't paid you are not a SASS member.  You are either a member or not.  No such thing as active vs. inactive.

9 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

and no sanctions or disciplinary actions are outstanding.

What does this mean?  I have never in 25 years heard of anyone that had sanctions or discipline leveled against them by SASS.  I do know one person that SASS revoked their membership and refunded their dues.  I am curious has anyone ever heard of someone that was santioned or disciplined by SASS?

I can't speak for the SASS parent organization.  That said, I know of individuals who were banned from individual clubs and/or ranges due to repeated violation of safety rules and or belligerent and argumentative attitude.   Those individuals are no longer considered "in good standing" with those clubs or ranges.

34 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It probably means membership fees paid up to date.

That's exactly what it means. Just because you have a badge for the WITH A number on it does not mean that you have paid your dues this year.

2 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I can't speak for the SASS parent organization.  That said, I know of individuals who were banned from individual clubs and/or ranges due to repeated violation of safety rules and or belligerent and argumentative attitude.   Those individuals are no longer considered "in good standing" with those clubs or ranges.

Yep we have some of those around here but as long as they have paid their dues they can go to any state, regional, national or world match. 

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's exactly what it means. Just because you have a badge for the number on it does not mean that you have paid your dues this year.

Absolutely correct.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Yep we have some of those around here but as long as they have paid their dues they can go to any state, regional, national or world match. 

Some sanctioned match applications state "We have the right to refuse entry to any applicants" (or words to that effect)

Yep catch all phrase we had in the Winter Range application for years and it is in the EOT 2022 application.  But it has never been used as far as I can remember.  Anyone ever heard of a paid member being denied access to a sanctioned SASS event?

This "good standing" language reminds me of stage instructions that say rifles and shotguns must be "safely" staged.  Really?  Do we need to say that?  What does that even mean?  Who decides if something is unsafely staged?

On 9/20/2021 at 12:34 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

This "good standing" language reminds me of stage instructions that say rifles and shotguns must be "safely" staged.  Really?  Do we need to say that?  What does that even mean?  Who decides if something is unsafely staged?

Don't worry, we'll yell, holler, and razz you if it's unsafely staged!  :D

There have been some SASS members kicked out of some clubs and forbid the 'Kicked out' SASS member

from shooting at that club/range.

My guess is the meaning of "good standing" means the SASS member doesn't have

any restrictions on shooting at that club/range sponsored match.

..........Widder

Archived