SASS Wire Forum

Introducing the 10 gauge with heavy BP loads to shooters

Chantry

I just got back from Heluva Rukus the NY State SASS shoot.  (Definitely worth going to http://www.circlekregulators.com/heluvarukus.html).  I used my 10 gauge as my main match shotgun the whole weekend.  120 grs of 1F and 1 1/2 oz of shot makes lots of smoke and an even louder boom.  People have told me they have felt the concussion, especially when I pull both triggers.  However the bark is far worse than the bite and I find it a lot of fun to shoot.

After the last stage I normally ask if anyone on the posse wants to try it themselves and I often get no for a response from both men and women.  This year four women and one guy said yes.  The first woman had fired a friend's 10 gauge set up & loaded almost identical to mine and she showed and then convinced the other three women to try it.  The response from all of them and the guy was a big grin and a shocked "That doesn't kick badly at all!"  I'll note that one of the woman shooters was maybe 5'3" and 120 lbs.  The other woman had been firing a short barreled 20 gauge coach gun with factory loads and refused to believe us when we told that the 10 gauge was going to hurt a lot less than her 20 gauge.

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Some day I'll get my hands on an original 87 in 10 gauge.

I have one but it needs a barrel. 

Anyone know if a 1901 barrel will work on an 87?

Years back a guy had a dandy 10 gauge.  Had a box of ammo about a foot cube that came with it. $875 as I remember.   I'd already bought and didn't really need to spend more. 

A 20Ga Coach with factory fodder can and will be brutal.  It's a bad choice for anyone.  The easiest solution is Fiocchi "Trainer" ammunition.  Most anything else will HURT!!

6 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

A 20Ga Coach with factory fodder can and will be brutal.  It's a bad choice for anyone.  The easiest solution is Fiocchi "Trainer" ammunition.  Most anything else will HURT!!

Yes, but you can't tell people that and expect them to believe it.  Neighbor bought a 20 gauge single shot with plastic stock for his kids.  They found out quickly it was a nasty little burro. He's the only one that will shoot it and complains when he does. 

We have  member who brings out an 8 gauge every now and then! He gets the hulls from some industrial application. It goes boooooooom

Oh and we know its not SASS legal, but we also shoot single shot big bore rifles at our regular cowboy matches, so there's that.

45 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

We have  member who brings out an 8 gauge every now and then! He gets the hulls from some industrial application. It goes boooooooom

Oh and we know its not SASS legal, but we also shoot single shot big bore rifles at our regular cowboy matches, so there's that.

I want an 8 gauge and would be allowed to shoot at my monthly match, I just don't have the $3-$5k for an 8 gauge, much less the money to feed it.  If I had to guess, every time he pulls the trigger it's $2-$3 a shot.

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That's very cool Chantry. I have never shot a 10 gauge but would like to...with BP, not full on hunting loads. ;)

Another shooter had given me 4 or 6 smokeless factory #4 shot shells and I fired them and the recoil was much less than I expected.  I'm shooting a Spanish 10 gauge cut to 20" and with the very good recoil pad and the fact that the damn thing weighs at least 12 1/2 pounds, even the full power smokeless factory loads weren't unpleasant.

I admit to being slightly twisted, sometimes I'll pull both triggers at once for fun, especially on a stage with a building.  :D:blink:

Archived