SASS Wire Forum

S&W 637 w/laser update

Rye Miles #13621

NEAT! New gun?

I haven’t bought a gun with a laser. I tried a generic one that I got in a bargain bin, but that one doesn’t count. It was a miserable failure. 

I have considered Crimson Trace laser grips for my 442, but since I can’t legally carry here I put off the purchase. 

The one thing I have noticed with first time laser users is they “chase the laser” after pulling the trigger. Recoil causes the laser to jump. Instead of just repointing / re-aiming the gun they look for the laser dot. It’s a very short lived reaction but interesting all the same. 
Also, try to keep your laser on only when getting ready to shoot. Nothing is more annoying at the range than someone lasing every damn thing on the range while learning to use and adjust their laser. Just my 2 cents. 

Let us know how you like it and in particular how easy it is to adjust it to POA. 

Is that grip more squared off at the bottom? I am thinking I do not like my Hogue Monogrips these days. To rounded on the bottom. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

NEAT! New gun?

I haven’t bought a gun with a laser. I tried a generic one that I got in a bargain bin, but that one doesn’t count. It was a miserable failure. 

I have considered Crimson Trace laser grips for my 442, but since I can’t legally carry here I put off the purchase. 

The one thing I have noticed with first time laser users is they “chase the laser” after pulling the trigger. Recoil causes the laser to jump. Instead of just repointing / re-aiming the gun they look for the laser dot. It’s a very short lived reaction but interesting all the same. 
Also, try to keep your laser on only when getting ready to shoot. Nothing is more annoying at the range than someone lasing every damn thing on the range while learning to use and adjust their laser. Just my 2 cents. 

Let us know how you like it and in particular how easy it is to adjust it to POA. 

Is that grip more squared off at the bottom? I am thinking I do not like my Hogue Monogrips these days. To rounded on the bottom. 

I noticed just dry firing that the laser jumps around and I see how it could be a problem if you focus too much on the laser.

Yes the grips are square on the bottom.

Oh BTW it's not new, I bought from a cowboy shooter yesterday. He bought it in Jan 2021, so it's pretty new!:lol:

If the laser jumps around when you dry fire, it's because you are jerking your hand.

Lasers are a great training tool. Pointed at the wall, pull the trigger on the empty gun, and try to not have the damn dot move.

Easy to sight in, aim at a blank wall, just adjust till the dot sits on top of the front sight. Like Alpo said if the dot is jumping you need to train more. Dry fire till it doesn't, go to the range have some one else load your gun with a chamber empty, see if you flinch when you hit the empty chamber.

I have the same laser found if I laid it down too hard the battery would come out of place and the laser would quit. When I carried that gun I would check every morning to see if it was working, just laying it down on my night stand was enough to move the battery, then I had to remove the  grips and reset the battery.

I carry a Model 60 with Crimson trace grips.  When practicing with it I focus only on the red dot, figuring that’s what I would have to use in a night time incident.  I shoot it both single action and double action.  You let your eyes and brain keep the dot where you want the bullet to go, just like your eyes and brain keep your car in its lane without conscious corrections, and focus your attention on trigger pull.  Once you get the feel of it, it works dandy!

I've had several.  Two with the Lasermax internal laser were my favorites.  Still have one, a 2nd gen Glock 21.

Had a particularly rowdy drunk with a hammer in hand tried to wipe the red dot off his chest with his unoccupied hand.  Took him a minute to figure it out, and then he did what the nice cop was asking, and dropped the hammer.

I have Crimson Trace on my Sig 239, like has been said, great for learning trigger control too.

Above is an experiment to see if I could post an iPhone video directly.  Today’s range practice, shooting double action at 7 yards just looking at the red dot.  Using 125 grain bullets; this Model 60 likes 158s better.  Not Olympic shooting, but fun!  Sorry about the shaky framing but the phone was just propped on my range bag.

Shows up as video to me. Sorry, don’t have suggestions.  Not a biggie anyway. Just a 5 shot group.  Apparently the process is not foolproof.  Not saying anyone in particular is a fool, you understand!  :)

It worked just fine for me on my iPhone. 
Nice shooting. It appeared the dot was about 2” above impact point for 4 of them. Definitely minute of bad guy critical parts. :D

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Won't open for me. I have an IMac that's about 10 yrs old maybe that's why??

Who knows? If you really want to see it I can send it to you by text (need your phone number.  You can PM me).  File is probably too big for email.  Again, not anything spectacular here, just playing around.

It opens on my IPhone but not my IMac

Good shooting!!

21 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Who knows? If you really want to see it I can send it to you by text (need your phone number.  You can PM me).  File is probably too big for email.  Again, not anything spectacular here, just playing around.

Opened it on my IPhone!! Nice!

The ones in the middle are single action the flyers are double action! The laser is right on the money though.

IMG_2670.JPG

44 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Is CT still offering lifetime batteries at no charge? 

OLG 

Good question, I don’t know I’ll have to look it up.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The ones in the middle are single action the flyers are double action! The laser is right on the money though.

IMG_2670.JPG

Fun, ain’t it!!  :lol:

Archived