SASS Wire Forum

Cry Macho

The movie is out in theaters and is on HBOMax.  I watched it last night and since no one has mentioned it I will at the risk of great bodily harm tell you what I thought.  A few minutes after the movie began I did not feel happy or glad to see Clint I felt sad.  No amount of Hollywood makeup can hide the fact that Clint is 91 years old.  He looks like a 91 year old man.  He sounds like a 91 year old man.  And, he moves like a 91 year old man.  If any of you can stand to watch have you noticed Biden after giving a White House speech refuse to take questions and turn and shuffle off the stage while decidedly hunched over?  That is how Clint looked.  Obviously there is no action.  He pretends to throw a punch at one point but his hand is moving so slow it would have bounced off.  In another scene he is supposed to be breaking a horse but, since all he can do is shuffle, it is blantantly obvious there is a stunt man.  I have noticed a few reviews and it was unanimous that the best actor in the movie is Macho the chicken.  I reluctantly have to agree.  Is it worth watching?  If for no other reason than to see one of the best actors and directors in his twilight, yes.  

It's kinda like the old Kenny Rogers song: "You have to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em".

There just comes a time when one has to change roles, or go down another trail of life. 

It is just the way of things. It is sad, but the second law of thermodynamics cannot be stopped...in this existence, that is.

I thought he was good in the Mule, a movie I liked. The whole point of that movie was precisely his age.

The new movie got good reviews yesterday in both the NYTimes (generally no friend of Clint or his movies), and the Wall Street Journal. I'll be happy to watch it. 

I read that he plays a 90-year-old man, so it makes sense to be one. He's not trying to be a younger character. And he still himself directs all of his movies.

8 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks for the write up, I've been tossing up whether I could watch him in it and not feel depressed as to me he's just the greatest.

I liked "The Mule" but he was starting to look old in that.

He was supposed to look old.

Ever since he came out and endorsed Bloomberg for POTUS I’ve had some pause about seeing this movie. I feel like he threw us gun owners under the bus. 
The movie also doesn’t sound too exciting so I’ll probably pass.

My son, Hatfield, watched it yesterday. He said it was okay but that it was left unresolved.

Don’t know whether I’ll pay to see it or not!

I’m looking forward to seeing Old Henry, which comes out October 1st!!  Looks like a good ol’ shoot ‘em up western!

Just need the right role for the right age to be convincing. Sounds like he tried to play the role of too young a man in this one . He was the right age for Unforgiven . Now I guess he needs something like grumpy old men . Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau we’re perfectly aged for those roles 

It is a good movie.   He's paying off a debt to a guy that helped him in the past.  It's a tour of life lessons that he tries to pass on to the boy.  It's not a shoot 'em up.   It's about thinking and relationships,  messy as they can be.

Trailers make it seem like another version of "Grand Torino".

Although he plays the parts well, I still believe he has at least a couple more westerns in him.

Maybe as the town octogenarian that reluctantly defends the town from ruthless gunslingers.

Just a thought. 

2021_09_19_10_01_10.jpg.bbaa3fb10271738bacb162f38e03b948.jpg

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ever since he came out and endorsed Bloomberg for POTUS I’ve had some pause about seeing this movie. I feel like he threw us gun owners under the bus. 
The movie also doesn’t sound too exciting so I’ll probably pass.

He is no friend of gun owners. 

Look back when he was the Mayor of Carmel Ca.

OLG 

30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He is no friend of gun owners. 

Look back when he was the Mayor of Carmel Ca.

OLG 

Yes!! He believed in gun registration and said no one should own an AR 15! 

If he is supposed to be playing a 90 yr old in the movie, maybe he is playing it as what people think a 90 yr old would act like and, that he is really more agile in real life.  Just a guessin' mind you.

42 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do at all with whether a particular movie of his is good or not. Including all of his great Westerns.

I never said he wasn’t a good actor or made some great movies but it sours me on watching someone who is antigun much like a lot of the actors that I think twice about watching their movies. 

3 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Just a friendly visual.

2021_09_19_04_31_00.thumb.jpg.7b6abf85138f2198bdb85a7d8120e89d.jpg

Great series, I have it on DVD 

I haven't looked for a long time, but as I recall he couldn't be called 'anti-gun',  though he held some views some here, including me, might disagree with on the subject.

Anyway, a fairly moot point. When it comes to the Hollywood and general liberal establishment, he is a real thorn in their side; good enough for me on the 'political' side, so to speak.

I admire the man a great deal and when he can't do it anymore, he'll quit. He's getting close-- but doesn't seem to be there quite yet!

I agree he’s not 100% antigun but it’s enough to bother me. Gun registration and against citizens owning AR 15’s is pretty bad. Backing Bloomberg was a real slap to us gun owners, Bloomberg is the most antigun person in this country. He’s funded many antigun groups and Clint backed him! Geeez......:angry:

3 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

If he is supposed to be playing a 90 yr old in the movie, maybe he is playing it as what people think a 90 yr old would act like and, that he is really more agile in real life.  Just a guessin' mind you.

Augh, no.  He wasn't acting.

Archived