SASS Wire Forum

For 44-40 which mold would you choose and why?

Stopsign32v

Probably Accurate's 43-165CL, or 43-155S for an even lighter bullet.  Ask for the bands on the bullet to be cut to 0.429" or even 0.430" in whatever alloy you expect to cast (not .427 which was the original groove diameter for .44 WCF).  That will fit MOST guns made in the last 20 years. 

I'd specify "Wheelweight" alloy composition so you get a perfect diameter when using about Brinnell 9 hardness alloy.   Round Nose Flat Point with a crimp groove is about the most common design for our matches, which both molds above will make.

Lightest bullet possible usually will result in least recoil.  Both have a large enough lube groove for .44 WCF in a revolver.  

You may want a 200 grain bullet for black powder loads in a toggle rifle, if the gun has blowback problems (but, with the thin case walls of .44 WCF, almost certainly you won't have a blowback issue).

good luck, GJ

43-202R from Accurate 

I made a few changes to the 205C that would get the cartridge overall length out where I wanted it, and keep the larger grease groove of the 205C. The bullets as cast form the 202R are weighing 207gr using wheel weight. 

5 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Lightest bullet possible usually will result in least recoil. 

Years back, I picked up a flat of Winchester Feather Lite at Wally-World when they had $2/box coupon and put them in the cart. Sawmill Mary says, "What'cha buying'nem for?".  I replied,  "Suppose to have lighter recoil.".  She says, "What's the fun in that?". 

She shot a few.  Didn't like the smell of the burnt powder. Ended up selling them to Doc Hurd.  

Just triggered a memory. 

I use Lee 429-200-RF 6 cavity mold because it makes bullets fast.  No lube on BlackMZ loads.  Javalina on black powder loads. 

2024187625_Lee200g44WCFAug2021.jpg.5c27c53c9299d5ce9854803757e8382b.jpg

I like the bullets I buy from Springfield Slim http://www.whyteleatherworks.com   You might ask him what mold he uses as they carry enough lub that shooting black I can get 200 rounds out of any of my .44-40 rifles before I have to run a wet patch down the barrel.  I normally clean after each match, not running a patch down the barrel for the 50-60 rounds. Accuracy holds for a match. I shoot 24" or 26" barreled rifles.  Pistols get by with a lot less lub!

I use the 43 205M  It holds the most lube with what I felt was the maximum amount of nose length for Uberti toggle action rifles. As it is they are almost too long for my Remington 1875 pistols, they are right on the edge of dragging on the frame. Seems Remingtons have much shorter cylinders than Colts.

+1 on the Lee mold. It casts great bullets fast with the 6 cavity. I size to .430 and they work great in 3 Ubertis a marlin and Rugers. Good castin'!

20 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

For 44-40 which mold would you choose and why?

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-205C

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-215C

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/432/432-216-rf-z1/432-200-rf-2-cavity-pb-44-40/

At different times this will be powder coated, normal lubed, AND black powder lubed!

• I chose the 43-214A for my Reloder 7 application. My purpose is for accuracy at longer distances "200 to 300 yards" as well as to retain velocity and energy. The 43-214A is also a replica of the 427098 with slight modifications to the o'give BUT does not have a crimp groove for low volume smokeless pistol powders. Works well with black powder general use.
  • When using black powder loads for the same purpose, but for many shots without wiping, I use the 43-215C with a large lube groove.  Works great for CAS with the large lube groove and has a crimp groove for those that desire smokeless powder loads.
  • For CAS and smokeless powder, the 200gr "Magma" works great, which is the most popular commercial made hard cast bullet.
  • The 43-205C works well and uses less lead.

I also use the Lee 429-200-RF, kind of. I pulled the pins, removed the sprue plate, chucked it in the ol' Jet lathe, and turned the bottom grease groove off so it casts a 165 grain bullet. I normally get the 165 grainer from Badman, but when it's not available, I can cast them. :)

Worth taking a look at if you are thinking blackpowder with your 44-40:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?265478-My-44-40-Black-Powder-Journey

6 hours ago, Dusty Coalhopper said:

Worth taking a look at if you are thinking blackpowder with your 44-40:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?265478-My-44-40-Black-Powder-Journey

John was awesome....here are a few important topics he posted about the 44-40.
https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/chasing-the-44-40/contributors/john-kort

Thanks for the link Jack … .  Most SASS members are not familiar with John’s history reviews and his calibers knowledge but he was a close buddy and our shooting work at Ridgway will be held close to me for many more years.  It was a sad day when John passed away from brain cancer

I see the LEE 429-200-RF mentioned, and I too use and like this bullet. 

As mentioned, it casts a bunch of bullets fairly quickly, is not a fussy mold, (although I do like to "Tune" the mold before using). I shoot smokeless, usually TB, and find that it uses less lube than the Lyman 427666, which is also a pretty good bullet. I've tested it with only 1 groove with lube and it is still OK in a Vaquero. However, I just lube both, and use them in both handgun and rifle. 

LEE seems to be stuck on having their 44 cal molds cast no bigger than the label on the box says. I just bought a new 429-200-RF, I had to wait for my supplier to get in stock from LEE. It will cast a wee bit larger, and I size @ 430, and cull any that are small, (visible lube overflowing the lube grooves. I cast with COWW enriched with a bit of tin and lino for a BHN of almost 15. 

Here's the caveat, my groove diameters are around 430, on both my firearms, Size matters, some 44-40's need smaller bullets. I'm not sure how much sizing a 429-250-RF can take, my guess on mine would be 428 before they would look a bit squeezed. 

If I keep my temperature right, and my alloy proper(ish) my 427666 will cast around 429 and sizes (just barely) in a 430. It would size down to 426 or 427, IMO. The lube groove is a bit big for low pressure smokeless, and they give off a distinct puff of smoke on firing.  

As far as COL, my 429-250-RF is at 1.560".

Archived