SASS Wire Forum

Loading a Lightning.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

A somewhat unique aspect of shooting the Lightning is that you have to have the action open to do so.   As far as I know, it's the only commonly used gun in CAS that has this feature.

One time, when I had brought a couple of friends to a shoot, one of them was using my Lightning, and the loading table officer gave him a hard time about having the action open.  I was a couple of people behind him, and I had to step forward and explain that my friend was indeed doing it the right way.

To all the Lightning shooters out there, have you ever been given any "grief" over the action being open as you load?   How did you deal with it.

Personally, I found the whole thing amusing, and it was enjoyable to explain something to the loading officer that he did not know.   He was happy to learn.

Anyone else?

Yes. Read my post in the loading table officer thread. It’s happened to me on a few occasions over the years.

It should not be a concern for anyone attending the loading table, since the guns won't load unless doing it right. I can't remember the last time I even had a loading table officer. What I would like is for someone to make sure I restocked my shotgun belt between stages.

4 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

What I would like is for someone to make sure I restocked my shotgun belt between stages.

Follow a routine when returning to your gun cart after shooting a stage.  Mine is-dump brass, replenish shot shells, fill loading block.  This happens every time in the same order.  Other additional and optional things might be a couple bites of an energy bar, a drink of water, but I always attend to the ammo first.  For me, having a set routine at my cart and at the loading table just helps give me less to think about.

Never had any grief but I’ve had a couple LTO’s tell me my hammer is back. I usually tell them that my bolt is back also. They give me a funny look and then I explain how the gun needs to be loaded. 

Archived