SASS Wire Forum

Why You Should Only Eat Organic Food

Subdeacon Joe

A produce clerk asked me if I wanted organic carrots last weekend when I was selecting regular carrots at the store. With as straight a face as I could muster I said “Seriously, are you insinuating that these carrots are fake? People should know about these things!”

She laughed and said “Well, you know…organic is better.”

I said “That’s okay. I like my carrots loaded with preservatives and alphabet chemicals. Helps me live longer.”

She walked away for some reason. 

Most of what you eat is organic.  Things like salt and iodine and some other chemicals aren't but they are pretty much essential to your system.  They are absorbed after being quickly dissolved along with the organic food which wouldn't break down at all if it weren't organic.  

And I don't understand vegan / vegetarian diets at all.  My ancestors were omnivorous, and I have the biting, tearing, and grinding teeth to prove it.  (Well, at least I will have once I get my implants completed.)

23 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

-  Phineas Taylor Barnum (organic vegetable tycoon) 1810-1891

Yup.  Us Taylors are pretty shrewd and observant.  We're all mighty proud of Uncle Phin.  :D

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

A produce clerk asked me if I wanted organic carrots last weekend when I was selecting regular carrots at the store. With as straight a face as I could muster I said “Seriously, are you insinuating that these carrots are fake? People should know about these things!”

She laughed and said “Well, you know…organic is better.”

I said “That’s okay. I like my carrots loaded with preservatives and alphabet chemicals. Helps me live longer.”

She walked away for some reason. 

Just tell her you prefer bug-free carrots. Esp when you have to pay twice as much for buggie ones!

JHC

I realize you folks are joking around, but to avoid confusion, we should differentiate here.

"Organic" as a general term, can refer to a foodstuff derived from carbon-based life forms - plant or animal.  You are correct - everything from tomatoes to cockroaches (if you eat that kind of stuff).

"Organic", as used in more recent popular parlance, is a labelling requirement that refers to foodstuffs raised with natural, non-chemical methods.  The USDA (and many states) have specific definitions, basically requiring any food advertised or sold as "organic" to be raised using traditional, non-chemically enhanced methods (without man-made fertilizers or pesticides), non-GMO, and with respect for land conservation and protection of natural resources.  Certain percentages of certain artificial ingredients may be permitted.

I like the idea of buying local, labelled organic produce; I do not buy into some of the claims made by marketers of such foods that they are in all ways superior to commercially produced foods, or are health enhancing (what is an anti-toxin, anyway?).  

LL

Just now, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Just tell her you prefer bug-free carrots. Esp when you have to pay twice as much for buggie ones!

JHC

Funny you should say this (and it was funny). I bought some “organic” radishes because the others were really tiny. Half those radishes were either buggie or had some kind of blight that made the inside dark. 

50 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

do not buy into some of the claims made by marketers of such foods that they are in all ways superior to commercially produced foods, or are health enhancing (what is an anti-toxin, anyway?

That is what we are poking fun at, the overhyped benefits, both to the consumer and the Earth of organic this and that. I heard a tout saying that the vodka that was being sampled was gluten free, organic, and all natural.

Whenever a herd of “organic” cattle was being slaughtered and processed in the packing houses where my USDA inspectors and I were working, we condemned a lot more animals for infections, parasites, and deep abscesses, compared to cattle that had been treated with deworming medication, vaccines, and antibiotics.

I have told my wife to never buy “organic “ meat or vegetables.

My grocery store has avocados by the each. They also have a "4 in a sack" bag of organic avocados, which usually cost quite a bit more. About a month ago avocados were a dollar, and the organic avocados were on sale for $2.50. so I bought the organic avocados. Cheaper.

Three were rotten and the other one had worms in it.

First and last time I have ever bought or ever will buy organic.

Technically “organic” foods should be better. That always isn’t the case but for the most part they are a little bit better for you. If you research organic vs inorganic foods one must first look at who is sponsoring or creating the website. Often there’s a buck in it for the promoter. 

I found an article that generally lays out the truth in organic foods. They are better for you, but not as “great” as some websites and producers would have you believe. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/organic-food-no-more-nutritious-than-conventionally-grown-food-201209055264

From UC Davis

https://health.ucdavis.edu/blog/good-food/are-organic-foods-really-healthier-two-pediatricians-break-it-down/2019/04 

Overall, is it better to eat organic?

Organic diets we know lead to less pesticide and antibiotic exposure, but nutritionally, they are about the same. In addition, there’s no evidence of clinically relevant differences between organic and conventional milk. There isn’t a concrete study that proves organic foods lead to healthier children. But eating organic is an advantage since we know pesticides can lead to neurodevelopmental issues and are strongly associated with cancer.

Archived