SASS Wire Forum

Cost Per 50 Rounds, Spreadsheet (44-40)

Savvy Jack

I though I'd share this, maybe someone can use it to start one of their own.
I did not include the cost of primers because I am still using old stash. Just add another $3.75 for each 50 round box.

Use Caution, I failed math and computer class!!!!!

44-40 Cost Per 50 Rounds

This is a fun exercise for both learning and keeping your Excel chops up to snuff.
I calculate powder expense per grain of charge from the total shipped cost of 8# tubs of powder.
And the same for shipped cost of bullets.

Brass is a 1x expense.
My LGS is now selling primers at $90 per brick, at his cost.
My stash of primers came from barter, so I don't factor that.

Yes, exactly, brass is indeed a 1x purchase.

Since we are playing at semantics, the cost of the brass is asymptotic.
Each subsequent reload divides the cost in half, but that cost never reaches true zero.

The neck will eventually split, and require replacement of the brass at current prices.
This can occur in as few as 3 or 4 reloadings, depending upon the intensity of the charge.

Let's assume Starline 44-40 brass at $0.40 per piece.
Assume a generous 10 loadings into this piece is $0.04 per charge, not zero.

I looked at 18 loads for 44-40.
10,143 avg PSI between Min and Max loads.
$0.0279 avg cost for powder

Primer cost is ignored.

Brass is more costly, per charge, than powder.

8 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Yes, exactly, brass is indeed a 1x purchase.

Since we are playing at semantics, the cost of the brass is asymptotic.
Each subsequent reload divides the cost in half, but that cost never reaches true zero.

True but geeeesh...nevermind :P

Okay Karen....here we go :D

If Bob buys 50 brass pieces at a cost of $14.50. On the second use, it cost $7.25...by the 100th use,  $0.145. If you are that anal, by all means....count it!!!

14 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

your very bottom cells A/B15

3,937.5 oz. per pound????

awfully heavy lb

ooops, my bad, I hit the wrong something...trying to fix it. Never was good with compyter stuff

When people have questions about reloading costs I try to give them an accurate, honest real world cost approximation.  It doesn't help to include very old costs like 1 cent per primer or components you lucked out and bought cheaply from a widow at a garage sale.

The same with lead bullets. Sometimes people will list 

0 cost for bullets because they have a ton of free lead and cast bullets themselves. Very few reloaders cast their own let alone have free lead. It doesn't hurt to show that you can do that but a huge percentage of reloaders by bullets.

I'll always list a cost for brass but it varies a lot depending on caliber and how many of them I generally lose when shooting. 9mm vs 45-70 or 44-40 for example.  Sometimes what I'll do is show my cost with components I've purchased (always toward the high side) and also show costs with what a new reloader would likely pay currently. Of course right now with primer prices in particular, this is not a normal situation with cost always gradually increasing over time.

A spread sheet is a useful tool for figuring in the cost per round.  I use real world prices for all components, but do make allowance for reuse of brass.  For 44-40s with brass usage at 5xs, the current cost ( it will vary a bit when different suppliers' costs are used ) for a box of 50 is approximately $16.  Factoring in initial cost of brass, the 1st round cost is approx $28 per 50.

Per 50 

Primer:  Most recent cost-Natchez @ $122.50 per 1,000 (taxes, charges) or $.1225 a piece -          $   6.125

Brass:     Most recent cost-Starline @ $151 per 500 or $.302 a piece-( 5xs = .0604 a piece  )    -      $   3.02

Bullets:  Most recent cost-Cheycast @ $115 per 1,000 or $.115 a piece                                           -      $   5.75

Powder:  Titegroup 4 lbs ( Mid South)  ( using 5.4 grs per round ) @ 123.53 or $.024 apiece   -     $   1.20

$ 16.095

There will be, as stated above, differences due to suppliers used and holding gains, which translate out to lower cost.  Of note, Starline shows no back orders available for 44-40 brass and primers and powder are a "catch as catch can" situation.   The last time I calculated the cost, in July, the cost per 50 rds was approximately $12.35.  Getting more expensive, but still well below factory ammo, if you can find it. 

Archived