SASS Wire Forum

Is there a way to tell a Uberti 3 click from 4 click by just looking at it?

Stopsign32v

You mean in pictures?

You can't see the firing pin and the trigger is slightly more forward in the the 3 click models  but those things are hard to distinguish. 

Easiest thing to do is buy a Pietta and ignore that Uberti revolvers exist.

Yes, it's been quite a while since I've seen one, but the trigger has to be pulled for the firing pin to be extended. 

Which is part of the reason folks have had problems with failures to fire.  You have to hold the trigger back, not just pull it. 

The reason I ask this is because this is where the confusion comes in. I just found a NEW Cimarron (just shipped from Cimarron) and it looks exactly like this one pictured. https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/thunderer-44-wcf-3-1-2-in.html

I realize that one on Cimarron's site is probably old but the actual revolver looks exactly like that. Also the cylinder is numbered which I don't know if that means anything or not. I asked the seller if it has 3 or 4 clicks and he said the 3rd click is very faint and the hammer doesn't stay. Wish I could see it in my hands...

5 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

The reason I ask this is because this is where the confusion comes in. I just found a NEW Cimarron (just shipped from Cimarron) and it looks exactly like this one pictured. https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/thunderer-44-wcf-3-1-2-in.html

I realize that one on Cimarron's site is probably old but the actual revolver looks exactly like that. Also the cylinder is numbered which I don't know if that means anything or not. I asked the seller if it has 3 or 4 clicks and he said the 3rd click is very faint and the hammer doesn't stay. Wish I could see it in my hands...

Well I can't see the firing pin in that picture.

The Thunderer uses the Old Model (Black Powder) frame.  Until now Cimarron Old Model P's still have the 4-click hammer.  I heard a rumor that may be coming to an end, but I do not know.

BTW, I'm only talking about the standard finish Thunderer.  The stainless model has the pre-war frame, so 3-clicks I think.

I don't own a 3 clicker but I understand they have no safety notch. So pulling the hammer back just a bit won't set the hammer back from the frame.

When a 4 clicker has the hammer in the safety notch, the firing pin shouldn't show past a breach face. There will be a gap between the hammer face and frame at top.  The trigger is usually visually forward from all the way down.

I own both versions of Uberti revolvers.  The hammer with the small hole on the back of the hammer is from the 4 click; the 3 click hammer looks solid.  You'd think it would be the opposite, but it's not.  My three click guns were made in 2017 and 2020 and they both have no hole in back of hammer.  My 4 click model (Old Frame Model P) was made in 2019.

image0 (5).jpeg

10 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You mean in pictures?

You can't see the firing pin and the trigger is slightly more forward in the the 3 click models  but those things are hard to distinguish. 

Easiest thing to do is buy a Pietta and ignore that Uberti revolvers exist.

I already had a Uberti 4-click El Patron Belleza in 45 Colt, couldn't find another except 3-click, found ONLY ONE Pietta GWII and grabbed it. The Pietta is not in the same class as the El Patron, and the clicks not nearly as distinct, but it shoots fine. The trigger is heavy but I don't really notice when competing. I had to stone many knife edges on the Pietta, while the Uberti was real art.

43 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I already had a Uberti 4-click El Patron Belleza in 45 Colt, couldn't find another except 3-click, found ONLY ONE Pietta GWII and grabbed it. The Pietta is not in the same class as the El Patron, and the clicks not nearly as distinct, but it shoots fine. The trigger is heavy but I don't really notice when competing. I had to stone many knife edges on the Pietta, while the Uberti was real art.

I must be lucky then, I’ve had several Piettas and they were all outstanding; I like the Californians the best.

When all this started to come about.

I went online and bought some hammers and triggers to have as back ups for if I ever needed them .

Rooster

In case I ever make a mistake (or go temporarily insane) , and actually buy a "3 click" revolver, I bought several hammers, and triggers, to change it back to a "4 click", to correct that error. And no, I don't give a masticated female rodent's mammary gland if that does "void the warranty", or not. 

Since I usually only purchase the Uberti's, with the "black-powder" frame, I don't have to worry about it being a "3 click"....so far.

Cimarron has indicated to me that they have no plans to change the "black-powder" frames to the "3 click" model. They indicated, to me, when I called them not too long ago, that there are enough folks out there that prefer the "4 click", that they will continue to manufacture the "black-powder" frame models as a "4 click" model. Let's hope they keep their word better than traitor joe.   

Of course, if you have purchased the hammer and trigger, it is not too difficult to change your "smokeless powder" frame revolver into a "4 click". 

Seems like many times, if you are looking at a single action clone revolver, on-line, the photographs of the revolver do not show it clear enough to determine if it is the the "3 click", or "4 click", unless it is on the old model (black-powder) frame. 

Also, in the description of the revolver, it usually does not say, either, because either the seller is too ignorant to know the difference, or they want to keep the cost of the ads down (in case they are charged by the word). 

Archived