SASS Wire Forum

Pietta 1851 Navys from Goons Gunworks

Captain Bill Burt

I got my Pietta 1851 Navys back from Goons Gunworks and I have to say I'm impressed.  Mike took the hammer draw from about 8 lbs down to about 4 lbs.  He put in cap posts, corrected the arbors, put in a coil spring action, action stop, action shield, corrected the timing and hardened and fire blued the screws.   

I'm about ready to do some cap and ball shooting. 

29775FF3-B17C-4F56-9C35-237259B7289F.jpeg

F3BCA895-CFD4-4663-8108-6075609A914D.jpeg

C235C5D5-19E1-409F-B443-9FA1CD14D656.jpeg

Are you sure he put them back together correctly? !

I asked him to give you his best work, and to make your guns slower than mine.  (JOKE) !

Can't wait to see them in-person.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Thats a deep notch in the hammer face to reach the cap!

The posts look tall from that perspective but the safety slots retain their original size. I fit the posts to the slot to maintain as much hammer face as possible.

Mike

1 hour ago, PowderMark said:

The wait is long, but my guns are awesome 

That reminds me.  I should check in on the gunsmith that has had my 97 for over 6 years,,,,see how it's coming along.   Pro tip- Don't ever tell a gunsmith or a taxidermist "take your time, I'm in no rush" 

5 minutes ago, Chuckwagon McTaggart said:

That reminds me.  I should check in on the gunsmith that has had my 97 for over 6 years,,,,see how it's coming along.   Pro tip- Don't ever tell a gunsmith or a taxidermist "take your time, I'm in no rush" 

Wonder if we used the same gunsmith in the past...

About 8 years ago,, he told me he'd have my 97 done before TN State, he just didn't specify which year that would be. 

11 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

The posts look tall from that perspective but the safety slots retain their original size. I fit the posts to the slot to maintain as much hammer face as possible.

Mike

So they could mis-fire at anytime - and he should not use them at matches in Georgia, right ?!  (joke)

11 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Wonder if we used the same gunsmith in the past...

About 8 years ago,, he told me he'd have my 97 done before TN State, he just didn't specify which year that would be. 

Must be getting new springs and components that are likely on the ship that was stuck in the Suez Canal, and is now impounded in Egypt. 

Or the Gunsmith is custom making the parts and he is waiting for the iron deposits to form in his/her backyard mineral farm, 

or the guns will be ready when the Biden administration stops lying to the American people !  #sorrynotsorry

HOPE that we'll see you at Dark Days with the subject 97 !

2 minutes ago, T-Square said:

Must be getting new springs and components that are likely on the ship that was stuck in the Suez Canal, and is now impounded in Egypt. 

Or the Gunsmith is custom making the parts and he is waiting for the iron deposits to form in his/her backyard mineral farm, 

or the guns will be ready when the Biden administration stops lying to the American people !  #sorrynotsorry

Maybe we'll see you at Dark Days with the subject 97 !

Dark Days? If that's a match in Florida, probably not gonna happen. 

Mike does great work .

I have had several guns done by Mike .

And they all run like a Swiss Watch .

I run like a old worn out Harley running on One Cylinder :wacko:

12 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

Mike

Can you send me a PM with the approximate cost, no engraving, for all of the action work? THnaks

Ike

10 hours ago, Cahawbakid said:

Well, Well, CBB. I’m glad to hear the news. I hope I will be shooting with you in the Black Powder match at the SE Regional

I certainly hope so!  I plan on shooting the BP match, but it will probably end up being my first match with these pistols and my first black powder match in about 9 years. 

I'm sure the learning curve will be steep!

Archived