SASS Wire Forum

different alias

Marshal Chance Morgun

If I had seen this when I started, I would have taken Marshal Heck Thomas as my alias.   

d51c76748b97424c7d39106b1d1b1dc1.jpg

Wanted posters were always popular, but since the “Dead or Alive” qualifier came about, lawmen and bounty hunters often liked to prove that they had bagged their prey by taking a photograph of their dead victim. This is one such photo of famous outlaw Bill Doolin, who was killed by U.S. Marshal Heck Thomas with around 20 buckshot wounds.

2 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

If I had seen this when I started, I would have taken Marshal Heck Thomas as my alias.   

d51c76748b97424c7d39106b1d1b1dc1.jpg

Wanted posters were always popular, but since the “Dead or Alive” qualifier came about, lawmen and bounty hunters often liked to prove that they had bagged their prey by taking a photograph of their dead victim. This is one such photo of famous outlaw Bill Doolin, who was killed by U.S. Marshal Heck Thomas with around 20 buckshot wounds.

Few had cell phones with cameras in their saddlebags  back then, so the photos must have been made someplace with access to a photographer.  

Actually, Bill had just died of tuberculosis shortly before Heck arrived, which is evident in his emaciated corpse. Doolin's wife didn't want his pards to know he died this way, so she asked Thomas to shoot him to make it looked like he went down fighting. 

Source https://www.amazon.com/Dynasty-Western-Outlaws-Paul-Wellman/dp/0803297092

This is a fabulous read.

Archived