SASS Wire Forum

Compare the SKB 200e and the Browning BSS for cowboy use

Waco Jim

They BSS doesn't have ejectors but do have mechanical triggers and are about the same weight.  I've owned several SKB's but have not had a BSS in my hands for examination.  How about a comparison between the two SXS's.

I have owned and used two SKBs, a 100 and a 200.  Wonderful shotguns, light, quick, responsive.  The inertial connectors did not always shift to the second barrel when using very light loads.  Rather than have the inertial connectors converted, I switched to Brownings.

If you expect to use very light low recoil shotshells, you better not rely on the SKB factory inertial connectors.  I have great confidence in my two BSS doubles.

I have 2 SKB's a 100 which has the factory inertia trigger system, I shoot Win. Low Noise/Low Recoil out of it all the time, never had a problem with the trigger system. The other SKB is a 200, which has been converted to mechanical triggers, works fine. I also have a Browning BSS, it's a little heavier than the SKBs, works fine, I do feel it does not open up as wide as the SKB's other that that, I shoot them all at various times.

TB

This topic should be moved from the classifieds to the forum!

It’s a matter of preference to me, I tried out a BSS and it felt blocky to me. Both of my SKB, a 100 and a 200 have splinter forearms and just feel better to me. They also have been converted to mechanical switching on the triggers.

Randy

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

It’s a matter of preference to me, I tried out a BSS and it felt blocky to me. Both of my SKB, a 100 and a 200 have splinter forearms and just feel better to me. They also have been converted to mechanical switching on the triggers.

Randy

What Randy said.

Have 3 BSS's. Had an skb done by fast eddy and it was a beautiful gun. Shot that and the BSS and found liked the beavertail forend better and the little bit heavier BSS feels more planted so to speak shooting, seems to soak up any recoil better.

My bad, the 200e has a beavertail forend also. Had one that I wanted to try, they are really really nice but still favored the BSS just because still felt more planted in my hands.

Browning BSS w/ 20" barrels ≈6 lbs.

SKB 200 w/ 20" barrels ≈5.5 lbs.

SKB 100 w/ 20" barrels ≈5 lbs.

These are taken from a bathroom scale, I do not have the means to weight them in pounds and ounces. Weights are approximate reads off the scale.

TB

My 22” BSS weighs right at 7 pounds on a balance beam scale.  For shooters who are very sensitive to recoil, the additional weight is nice.  22” makes the shotgun the same overall length as my ‘73 short rifles.  The 22” barrels stay open reliably for reloading.

It would seem the BSS weighs quite a bit more than the SKB.  My 200e 12ga with 20 in. barrels weighs 6.47 lbs.  The heavier BSS may account for some of the comments about the BSS being "Clunky".  I was considering a BSS as a backup sxs but they are hard to find and just as expensive as the SKB.  I think I'll keep looking for an SKB.

Thanks for all the comments on my post.

2 hours ago, Waco Jim said:

It would seem the BSS weighs quite a bit more than the SKB.  My 200e 12ga with 20 in. barrels weighs 6.47 lbs.  The heavier BSS may account for some of the comments about the BSS being "Clunky".  I was considering a BSS as a backup sxs but they are hard to find and just as expensive as the SKB.  I think I'll keep looking for an SKB.

Thanks for all the comments on my post.

Shoot a BSS (at least one of your friends owns one) then you won’t have to depend on our opinions.

I shoot a BSS. I like the mechanical trigger because I very often do not shoulder the Shotgun when I shoot it. When shooting an inertia operated trigger set gun it is important to have the stock against something solid. If it is allowed to jump back it may not set to the other barrel. There is also the fact that the additional weight on the BSS helps a bit on the recoil. Just a couple of things... not too important to most shooters. I choose the BSS.... however.......... I will get one of the new Sharp-tail CZ Coach guns when they get them back in stock.... just because they look neat and I want to tear one down and tune it up. They are quite light in weight so there might be a little learning curve if I decide to use it in the game. 

Snakebite

I have owned seven SKB's at some time in the last ten years and have never shot one that wasn't converted to mechanical triggers. Sold my backup 200e several days ago. Now I only have a 200e Nickle a 150 and a 100. I have always wanted a BSS just because they are there. I agree with the earlier post, try out a friends first. The old try before you buy trick.

Archived