SASS Wire Forum

Chip Factory

RIght now local car lots are empty because of a worldwide computer chip shortage.  The largest chip maker in the world is in Taiwan.  They are worried if China takes over Taiwan the U.S. won't intervene.  So they purchased two square miles of land (1280 acres) about five miles north of my house.  They broke ground a few weeks ago and there are non-stop gravel trucks going in and out all day long.  The construction worker parking lot is huge.  Utilmately there will be four new state of the art factories and the U.S. will become the largest chip maker in the world.  (Right now we are nowhere close.)  The Taiwanese are really worried so getting this work done is a top priority.  I got a rather poor shot out the window of the car on my way back from the clays range this morning since there is nowhere to pull over to get a better photo and the roads into the site are all closed except for construction traffic.

IMG_1957.thumb.jpeg.3bd8d569d4896bc6f68c4b9117b35768.jpeg

We'll have to buy all our ammo back from the Taliban.

Any confrontation with China won't be on the mainland.  It will be in the air and at sea.  That is why we just signed the deal for nuclear submarines with Australia.

60 Minutes did two segments on this the past six months.  They interviewed the CEO of Intel, which is down in Gilbert, Arizona, and he admitted the U.S. was far behind in the number of chips produced and more importantly the sophistiation of the chips.  He said the Taiwanese were making chips far more advanced than anything Intel has and that Intel actually buys chips from the Taiwanese for some of its computers.  Getting these plants built will benefit the U.S. and the entire world.

They’ve got a huge chip factory south of you down at Casa Grande…….Frito Lay.:P

Re: non stop gravel trucks

i recall a computer building going up in the 80s. More than half the construction time went into the foundation. They dug it flat and then added sand to a depth of 6’ with dozers and rollers constantly leveling the surface.then they poured the foundation.  It was a four story 400,000 sq ft building.

If I understand correctly, the company I work for got the contract to provide the chillers. That's not chump change. If it's true, I will be spending a lot of time there getting them connected to out monitoring service. At least it's on the north side and not on the east side of Mesa.

Having worked for the electric company for a lot of years, a facility like that, would require a lot of power, and back-up power as well. 

I imagine you will be seeing some new electric substations being built in the area, as well as extensive overhead and underground electric cables and devices, to serve it. 

The local-yokel electric companies will have to do in-depth studies on how much capacity they have, and how much material they will need to bring the necessary power to the site. Like as not, it may need to be served from two different substations, and two different feeders...at least.  

I do hope they incorporate some really strong security measures, in that location. One well placed something could knock out quite a bit of energy to the facility. 

Yeah....if I was Taiwan, I'd be worried too...especially after the recent idiot decisions in Afghanistan, and lack of any decisions on our southern border...which includes Arizona. 

5 hours ago, Cholla said:

If I understand correctly, the company I work for got the contract to provide the chillers. That's not chump change. If it's true, I will be spending a lot of time there getting them connected to out monitoring service. At least it's on the north side and not on the east side of Mesa.

You can see it from the Ben Avery Shooting Facility.

Archived