SASS Wire Forum

What do you all think about "Pearl Handled Revolvers"?

Pat Riot

Patton had some very strong opinions against Pearl. HOWEVER!!!! This is still America (for the time being) and I am not going to tell you how to freedom. I just picked up the Uberti Doc with pearl grips and I'm a big fan.

Real pearl, or plastic?

They look good, especially on a shiny stainless or nickel gun.

But I have heard stories about them cracking under use. If I was going to do it, I believe I would go with the "it ain't really pearl but it looks like it" plastic.

Do you know Thumpers Rule And How To Avoid Online Arguements?

1) Learn Thumper’s Rule

In case you have never seen the movie “Bambi”, you need to learn this one little piece of sage advice from the bunny rabbit named Thumper.

Thumper’s father taught him (and his mother reminded him) that “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all.” Sometimes it’s just a good idea to walk away from the argument, especially before it gets personal.

Patton wanted Sambar Stag but couldn't find any so he settled for pearl ivory. ;)

The imitation pearl doesn’t do a thing for me. Real pearl looks great but these days it can get pricey. 

Perhaps in California the humidity doesn’t get high enough to cause an issue. When I live in Indiana the Ruger faux ivory got slick with sweat in the humid summers. I don’t have that issue here in Arizona. 

On a guitar it would be referred to as "Mother of Toilet Seat."   ^_^

image.png.5d733e8b2eecca817b91fbd6f05fcea6.png                 Ginsey Mother of Pearl Elongated Toilet Seat | Bed Bath & Beyond

That said, I've always liked the look on nickel and stainless pistolas.  :)

2 hours ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

Pearl is a great look for guns silver in color, Not so much for guns blue/black in color.

Go for it.

Ooooh, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think the blued/black guns really make the pearl stand out. 

Pat, get the pearls.

Real pearl is very brittle and while I have seen and owned numerous antiques with pearl grips I cannot recall the last time I saw a modern gun with pearl grips or real pearl grips for sale.  I think those grips are called peraliscent.  Personally I don't really like them although the pair in the photo with the stainless gun looks passable.  Really does not matter what anyone thinks if you like them.

I think I am going to go for it. 

Altamont White Pearl Classic panels. 
C42442A0-81B2-496B-8DDF-BF65C7340A7F.jpeg.b54900f1008be6f0b14ada532ff3775a.jpeg

I am actually installing a Vaquero grip frame on my stainless New Vaquero along with an SBH hammer, Wolff springs and a little bit of slickin’ up. I think these grips will look real nice on it. ;)

31 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have my hand in the air with a question.  Why are you installing a Vaquero gripframe on a New Vaquero?

gettyimages-528822066-1024x1024.jpg

The grip on New Vaqueros is to small. It drives me crazy. I can’t seem to shoot the darn thing accurately and no matter what grip panels I put on it my hand feels all bunched up and fumbly now matter how I grip it to shoot it. 
I sold my other RNVs because I just didn’t like them. Somehow I forgot about that last year when I found this one brand new for $600 at my LGS. 

So, I am installing the kind of grip I like. The parts will be here next week. 

Funny, I ordered the grip panels from Altamont and they still claim 4-6 weeks for delivery even though there is no engraving or checkering involved. 
It might be a canned message. I will call them Monday. I have to make sure they have my correct address. Somehow that #%&$ing PayPal system they use had an address for me I haven’t used in 16 years. No idea how that happened. I flippin hate PayPal. 

Archived