SASS Wire Forum

Need some Texan to explain this

Alpo

The president of the University of Texas at San Antonio has just banned the display of the Gonzales flag and the chanting of COME AND TAKE IT.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/texas-university-bans-come-and-take-it-chant-due-to-racial-connotations/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20210917_FridayDigest_348&utm_campaign=/digest/texas-university-bans-come-and-take-it-chant-due-to-racial-connotations/

This is racist, and is at odds with University policy.

Many students, however, continue to waive WAVE the flags and do the chant at football games.

Football games? What the hell do football games have to do with Texas history and a pro gun stance?

I can, vaguely, see the racism thing. The original was white people talking to Mexicans - threatening Mexicans.

And sense SINCE it is a pro-gun statement, and University higher ups tend to be anti-gun, I can see behind the stupidity of the choice as to why they made it.

I just don't understand why the students would be chanting a pro-gun slogan at a football game. Are the students at UTSA so stupid they don't know what it means, and think that it means "come and take the ball from us if you can"?

16 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

So if a white supremacist group hijacks and starts using the rainbow LGBTQ flag, the rainbow flag will now be a new symbol of white supremacism and be banned?

Interesting concept!!  Appropriate their symbols and you might disrupt their momentum!!  Use their own tactics against them!!  If we were to burn their flags, it would be viewed as a hate crime!!  What's fair for the goose...?

16 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Interesting concept!!  Appropriate their symbols and you might disrupt their momentum!!  Use their own tactics against them!!  If we were to burn their flags, it would be viewed as a hate crime!!  What's fair for the goose...?

A couple of years ago I drove through downtown Santa Rosa CA on a Friday late afternoon, on my way home from work.  I saw a stage set up for some event festooned with all sorts of "Pride" flags, among them this:

Image result for lesbian labrys

And I asked my self, "Why are they using the Vichy French labrys?"  A bit later I saw on the FB page of one of the local politicians, don't recall if he is County Supervisor or City Council, bubbling on about the event, so I asked why a fascist flag was flying there.  The outpouring of hate towards me was amazing.

Y'all have all missed the point. I don't care why the University president banned it. I know why he banned it. He's a liberal moron.

I want to know why the students waved the flags and chanted come and take it at football games.

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I want to know why the students waved the flags and chanted come and take it at football games.

You must have missed my point in my first response.

But, geee.....lots of like-minded people in one place.  A place with lots of exposure and coverage.  A place that a message will be seen.  
Yeah.....political expression makes no sense at all there.

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It's a large gathering of people and potentially televised. So they reaching out to a much bigger audience than standing on a street corner.

Now I've made two in one day!  :D  because kids will be rebels.  

1874518488_comeandtakeit.png.b455831c9a7e29e15ba9fee8b7e66a70.png

You need to look at the actual flag they were waving.  It said come and take it but had a UTSA roadrunner on it, not the cannon barrel.  The school was using that slogan as a rallying cry, not making a political statement. 

This is a first amendment issue. The students, Faculty and alumni have the right to freedom speech. Unless the "public" school has a policy banning any and all political commentary, flags, banners etc. the restriction is racist and violating the groups rights.

The Gonzales Flag is being called racist because a bunch of "white" Texan's sent the Mexican's packing and continue to take pride in it today.

Molan Labe said the same thing 2700 years ago! So is that phrase a racist comment against Persian's/middle eastern people? 

The University President has no ability to restrict free speech unless all free speech is restricted.  Calling all attorney's.

And typical Liberal mindset. We've banned it but we won't enforce it.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

just don't understand why the students would be chanting a pro-gun slogan at a football game. Are the students at UTSA so stupid they don't know what it means, and think that it means "come and take the ball from us if you can"?

Even us Texans are baffled by this.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Y'all have all missed the point. I don't care why the University president banned it. I know why he banned it. He's a liberal moron.

As pointed out by Redleg Reilly they are waving this flag.

Does anyone have a come and take it flag they are willing to sell, or know  where I could get one?: UTSA

UTSA stopped displaying “Come and take it” flag at football games and now faces criticism from its Board of Regents

The University of Texas at San Antonio is taking heat from the UT System’s board of regents for its recent decision to stop displaying the famous “Come and take it” flag at football games after some in the university community argued the slogan has a racist history.

Regents Chair Kevin Eltife said in a statement last week that he was disappointed by UTSA President Taylor Eighmy’s decision to end the six-year tradition, which included unfurling an enormous flag with the slogan across the student section during the fourth quarter of football games and firing a cannon.

“The Board of Regents does not support abandoning traditions and history that mean much to students, alumni, and other Texans,” Eltife said. “I am very disappointed with this decision and will immediately ask our Board to establish policies that ensure that the governing body of the UT System will have the opportunity in the future to be consulted before important university traditions and observances are changed.”

The origins of the flag, which includes the slogan and an image of a cannon under a star, stem from the Battle of Gonzales during the Texas Revolution in 1835. As the story goes, Mexican authorities loaned a small cannon to the town of Gonzales for protection from Native American tribes. When the Mexican troops asked for the return of the cannon, the people of Gonzales responded by raising a handmade flag with the words “Come and take it.”

The flag has long been a symbol of Texas pride and has commonly been adopted by groups sending a message of defiance or protesting government overreach, such as Second Amendment supporters and abortion rights advocates.

I like that at the bottom, where they wanted to get rid of THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON US, which got its start in a minstral show, and MAYBE was sung by white people wearing black face. MAYBE. No one was there. There are no pictures. There are no references in print. Nothing to prove that there were white people in blackface. But MAYBE there were, and that's all the evidence that is needed.

The UTSA prez needs to be fired for being an idiot. Alpo the push to get rid of the Eyes of Texas fizzled out thankfully. A number of deep pocked donors threatened to quit, and apparently their money talked loud (like UT needs more money). There would have been a legion of Texas Exes taking to the streets with torches and ropes looking to stretch some necks. I'd have been one of them! Yet another theater of the absurd. As far as UTSA goes I doubt anybody gives a rosy red rat's rump other than the students and alumni.

JHC

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Any and all flags, shirts, chants, books, etc., issued by Conservatives or white people are racist in the left wing viewpoint. This somehow includes the American flag.:angry:

And ain't that just pure unmitigated BS?

There are more vulgar chants at college football games this season.   This one in particular, "F*** Joe Biden" repeated continuously.  You'd think the fans in stadiums would have more respect for the President most of them helped elect.  It appears they have a bad case of buyer's remorse.

58 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

There are more vulgar chants at college football games this season.   This one in particular, "F*** Joe Biden" repeated continuously.  You'd think the fans in stadiums would have more respect for the President most of them helped elect.  It appears they have a bad case of buyer's remorse.

And minimall news coverage. Again imagine how this news would be characterized if it were directed at a different president. It would be talked about on the news, all the talk shows, etc.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:56 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

This is a first amendment issue. The students, Faculty and alumni have the right to freedom speech. Unless the "public" school has a policy banning any and all political commentary, flags, banners etc. the restriction is racist and violating the groups rights.

The Gonzales Flag is being called racist because a bunch of "white" Texan's sent the Mexican's packing and continue to take pride in it today.

Molan Labe said the same thing 2700 years ago! So is that phrase a racist comment against Persian's/middle eastern people? 

The University President has no ability to restrict free speech unless all free speech is restricted.  Calling all attorney's.

And typical Liberal mindset. We've banned it but we won't enforce it.

You forgot the qualification.  If it is hate speech it is not protected by the First Amendment.  Must be true.  The left defines what is hate speech and said this is covered by their defintion.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You forgot the qualification.  If it is hate speech it is not protected by the First Amendment.  Must be true.  The left defines what is hate speech and said this is covered by their defintion.

The Supreme Court said that there is no such thing as hate speech. The liberals can't accept that.

On 9/19/2021 at 5:47 PM, J.D. Daily said:

You'd think the fans in stadiums would have more respect for the President most of them helped elect.  It appears they have a bad case of buyer's remorse.

They can't have buyers remorse for something that nobody bought. 

Archived