SASS Wire Forum

News Of The World

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

starring Tom Hanks.

I had never heard of it until a friend recommended it.

It's a western, but not your usual western.  It's very well acted, a photo miracle, and will suck you in until you won't be able to stop watching.  There are some things out of whack, but I overlooked them after the first two or three.  

It's now my turn to recommend it to you.  I fully intend to let it simmer a bit and then watch it again, maybe at Christmas time.

Some westerns seem to portray folks that have little experience with firearms...or they seem awkward using them. Back in the west, most of the men, and not a few women, grew up using firearms. The ranches, and towns, and farms, had war veterans, buffalo hunters, pioneers, Indian fighters, and cowboys that had gone up the trail with the herds.  

It was interesting that the main character did not travel armed, but had to acquire one along the way.

Even in today's world I never go out unarmed. From listening to my Dad talk about his grand-dad, that was born in 1862, they did not go around unarmed (in the west, that is) either. 

Not a bad movie. It was different. Not my favorite western...a little slow in spots. But Tom Hanks usually plays a character that is likeable, and he did this time too. 

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

starring Tom Hanks.

I had never heard of it until a friend recommended it.

It's a western, but not your usual western.  It's very well acted, a photo miracle, and will suck you in until you won't be able to stop watching.  There are some things out of whack, but I overlooked them after the first two or three.  

It's now my turn to recommend it to you.  I fully intend to let it simmer a bit and then watch it again, maybe at Christmas time.

My son saw it and loved it and he's NOT a Tom Hanks fan but he said he had to give him kudos on a great acting job!

The young girl, Helena Zengel, in my opinion was the greatest actor in the movie.  She is German and was 12 when the movie was filmed.  Tom Hanks had great praise about her and said that she did not need detailed instructions about any of the scenes, she instinctively did everything right.  She bears watching.

Great movie and the book is good too.  I had a little problem with Witchita Falls being this bustling community by the early 1870's but overall they got everything pretty close.  Both whites and Indians of the time had a lucrative livestock and slave trade on the frontier.

16 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Some westerns seem to portray folks that have little experience with firearms...or they seem awkward using them. Back in the west, most of the men, and not a few women, grew up using firearms. The ranches, and towns, and farms, had war veterans, buffalo hunters, pioneers, Indian fighters, and cowboys that had gone up the trail with the herds.  

It was interesting that the main character did not travel armed, but had to acquire one along the way.

Even in today's world I never go out unarmed. From listening to my Dad talk about his grand-dad, that was born in 1862, they did not go around unarmed (in the west, that is) either. 

Not a bad movie. It was different. Not my favorite western...a little slow in spots. But Tom Hanks usually plays a character that is likeable, and he did this time too. 

It annoys me to no end how they will make a period movie but add modern social consciousness to it. Virtually nobody back in the 1800s had a problem with firearms. You could even buy them over the counter smack in the middle of London.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

But the yankees were anti-gun when it came to Rebs carrying guns.

Yep and that was very clearly portrayed in the movie when the yanks searched Tom Hanks and verified that he only had bird shot loaded in the shotgun and checked his paperwork stating that he had sworn allegiance to the union when he surrendered 

Archived