SASS Wire Forum

Low recoil 12 gauge Titewad load?

Lone Rider SASS#32091

I am sure this has been covered but I cannot get the search feature to work. Have tried for several days. I have a chance to pick up some Titewad and looking for a “low recoil low noise” type load. I have my once fired AA Hulls and Winchester 209 primers. I will be loading on a Lee Load All II. I am thinking  a 7/8 oz. load but open to suggestions.  I haven’t purchased any wads yet so would like to know what wad you use with your load. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I checked the Hodgdon reloading manual and the only data they have for Titewad and 7/8 oz. load is 1250 fps  or faster.  With 1 oz. 1125 fps or faster.  I’ve only loaded Clays, Red Dot and Clay Dot so I can’t give any actual data.

Randy

1 hour ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

I am sure this has been covered but I cannot get the search feature to work. Have tried for several days. I have a chance to pick up some Titewad and looking for a “low recoil low noise” type load. I have my once fired AA Hulls and Winchester 209 primers. I will be loading on a Lee Load All II. I am thinking  a 7/8 oz. load but open to suggestions.  I haven’t purchased any wads yet so would like to know what wad you use with your load. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Low recoil 12 ga. loads using Titewad powder:

Winchester AA 2 3/4" hull or equivalent 

Winchester WAA12L (gray) wad or Claybuster CB0 178-12 

Winchester 209 Primer

14.2 GR Titewad 

Use #20 MEC Bushing 

7/8 ounce of  #8 shot 

This recipe was shared with me several years ago.  I have used it with good success.  My wife likes the low recoil.  

Low recoil 12 ga. loads using Titewad powder:

Winchester AA 2 3/4" hull or equivalent 

Winchester WAA12L (gray) wad or Claybuster CB0 178-12 

Winchester 209 Primer

13.5 GR Titewad 

7/8 ounce of  #7.5 shot

14 hours ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

Thanks for the replies. I picked up the titewad and some wads yesterday. I have some 7.5 shot so I will make some of those and try them. I need to get some more shot so I may get #8 so I can try that load also. Thanks again!

The 7.5 shot will be fine for either recipe  no need to buy 8. 

Randy

Thanks for that information. I have been loading cartridges for many years but this is my first foray into smokeless shotgun.  My Load  All does not have a 13.5 grain bushing for Titewad but does have a 13.7 and 14.3 bushing so looks like I’m OK with either load. I was thinking about #8 shot because that is what the AA low recoil low noise load uses. I know it’s smaller but get more pellets per load. It may not make that much difference for our game. I’m looking forward to loading and testing some. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

I load 13 grains of Titewad with the above mentioned CB 0178-12 wad and 7/8 ounce of shot. Got that recipe from Widder if I recall correctly...

12 hours ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

Thanks for that information. I have been loading cartridges for many years but this is my first foray into smokeless shotgun.  My Load  All does not have a 13.5 grain bushing for Titewad but does have a 13.7 and 14.3 bushing so looks like I’m OK with either load. I was thinking about #8 shot because that is what the AA low recoil low noise load uses. I know it’s smaller but get more pellets per load. It may not make that much difference for our game. I’m looking forward to loading and testing some. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

I personally like 7.5 shot because if I have a crimp that doesn’t close as well 7.5 isn’t as likely to dribble out as 8 or 9.

Randy

Archived