SASS Wire Forum

My Dear Mister Keller

I refer to Mr. Kellers' writings in the thread "Short Stories" ......  :wub:

11 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

?????  

11 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Me too, and this google search result did not enlighten me:

... trust me to cause trouble ...

It's been said you write best what you know best.

That bein' said I have no first hand experience being a female, but as a lifelong girlwatcher -- hak-kaff!  Har-rumh!  I mean as a researcher (insert innocent expression here!) I do try to put such experience as I'm able, into those tales.

Things like Marnie, as a wee child, staring in awe at that quietly breathing cast iron creature standing up on its shining rails, that magnificent metallic animal that moves and breathes and she can feel the heat radiating off it like she can feel the animal warmth of The Bear Killer or of her big strong Daddy, strong and reassuring beside her ... when I refer to little boys who pop the back off a pocket watch and stare and marvel at the moving parts inside, or the little girl who watches in wonder and amazement at all the moving parts when The Lady Esther leans into her load and whistles at the mountains... well, I have been that child, and I have done those things.

I know what it is to walk in amongst the gas pumps at the All-Night, not expecting anything to happen, and end up with a handful of single action revolver because it's what I had handy when things went bad, I know what it is to rotate the black-plastic, explosion proof switch mounted on the side of the driver's seat base on the emergency squad, I know what it is to stop that arterial bleed in the passenger side of a rolled over sedan and to be yanked out by its intoxicated driver screaming "GET AWAY FROM HER!" (right before my partner gut punched him with the short end of a PR-24 baton!)

Ghosts you think are buried deep and  buried well, have a way of phltering up through rocks and dirt and saying hello at unexpected times, and Old Pale Eyes isn't the only man to have hard memories that plague him for years after.

Sometimes the only way I can lay sorrows back in their grave is to tell their stories.

Sometimes that's what happens here.

More times than one my wife will look across the room -- she on her couch, me on mine -- she'll see me writing furiously, with tears rolling down both cheeks, and she'll not trouble me, for she knows I'm wrestling something I've survived, fighting it until I can shove it through the keyboard, hoping it will sleep now and quit haunting me.

Mr. Pettifogger, I reckon Wallaby's hook, like and sinker reference, comes from 
this page

though I'm not sure which chapter.

I think it's 440 or so, titled "The Speech", that made his screen blur.

Sadly, that one also drew from personal experience.

Archived