SASS Wire Forum

Improving the taste of one serving of vegetables ..

After my back problems I can’t stand and cook a simple meal for myself.  My daughter got me signed up for meals on wheels, basically one balanced meal five days a week, reheat and eat.  I realize I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth but a few of the servings leave something to be desired.  The menus repeat every six weeks so I have looked for ways to improve one serving of a vegetable.  There is a menu with baby limas.  OMG they are so bitter. I can just throw them in the trash but that is not in my dna.  I looked them up and found, first that they were probably overcooked. But to improve I cooked them with bacon. I suppose to further improve the dish I could discard the beans and just eat the bacon but like I said, that is not in my dna.

another dish needing improvement is sliced carrots. I found recipes that start with three cans of sliced carrots. No no no, one serving!  A little brown sugar and a spice or two.

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There is a menu with baby limas.  

Steam them with part of a smoked turkey wing and add a little cider vinegar and brown sugar.  

10 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

A little brown sugar and a spice or two.

Sauteed in a little butter and brown sugar, add a little grated fresh nutmeg, a grind of black pepper, deglaze with some port or a late harvest red.

For carrots Green Onion, Butter, Basil, Salt and a little sugar....

Lima Beans , Salt ,Pepper and Chilli Powder to taste...

Jabez Cowboy

1 hour ago, Go West said:

IMO you can't improve either of those unless you leave them out of the recipe. You need to start with an edible vegetable. Carrots are tasty if raw however. ;)

Not just raw but fresh, they lose sweetness as they age and the so-called baby carrots that are now marketed are old.

You can improve the taste of most vegetables by frying them. That's the only way I will intentionally eat carrots - fried.

There is, however, nothing you can do to improve the taste of lima beans. They are nasty. Boil them, steam them, bake them, fry them, shish kabob them, stew them - it don't matter. They are still going to be nasty.

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Do like the military and ruin some ham by adding it to the lima beans. 

I was going to add a picture but decided against it. Not enough eye bleach.

Damn that was my favorite C rat, had the most in it and nobody else wanted it.

Yes Mo there is always one, I'm not a picky eater then or now.

Even okra can be good if properly prepared, but there ain't much you can do to lima beans...

Archived