SASS Wire Forum

Do you shoot a rifle or carbine for CAS mostly?

Buckshot Bear

I started with 24"ers, but the more I played the game, the more I found I preferred the shorter barrels. I even cut my original two 1873 .44-40's back about 3 1/2" or so - can't go any shorter without losing the rotary dovetail for the mag tube.

1873_44-40 - Copy.JPG

2 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

My understanding after some cursory research on line is that an 1873 carbine is distinguished by a shotgun style butt stock and a banded fore stock plus a saddle ring. The barrel is shorter than a sporting rifle, but that is only part of it. Yours sounds like a "short rifle". ICBW.

Could well be. I never paid a lot of attention to it. I just noticed it felt better and I liked it.

My understanding after some cursory research on line is that an 1873 carbine is distinguished by a shotgun style butt stock and a banded fore stock plus a saddle ring. The barrel is shorter than a sporting rifle, but that is only part of it. Yours sounds like a "short rifle". ICBW.

Could well be. I never paid a lot of attention to it. I just noticed it felt better and I liked it.

My '73 doesn't have a saddle ring. Here are pictures of both of mine.

1873 Winchester 005 (5).JPG

2016-01-27 01.50.37.jpg

Open tops with 1866 Yellow Boy all in 45 Colt Classic Cowboy Guns 001 (3).JPG

5 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

1873 Winchester 005 (5).JPG

2016-01-27 01.50.37.jpg

Open tops with 1866 Yellow Boy all in 45 Colt Classic Cowboy Guns 001 (3).JPG

They both look like rifles to me.

Model 1873 Carbine

This is what a "carbine" looks like. Different butt stock, banded forestock, saddle ring, barrel length matched to loading tube length. I gather the sights are different also.

Model 1873 Short Rifle

Short rifle to compare.

So, it's a short rifle then.

I stand educated.

Thank-you

1. 1866 Short Rifle 

2. 1892 Short Rifle 

3. 1860 Rifle 

Archived