SASS Wire Forum

Do you shoot a rifle or carbine for CAS mostly?

Buckshot Bear

50 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Do you shoot a rifle or carbine for CAS mostly?

YES

19 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thinking on getting the girls a carbine Singin' Sue.....their handling the rifle ok, but it is heavy for them.

If you can find a Marlin they are a lot lighter than a 73.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thinking on getting the girls a carbine Singin' Sue.....their handling the rifle ok, but it is heavy for them.

I would.

Actually, if they are young enough the '92 is good, and can be a back up later on. But...I do love my carbine.

Sold my '92 years back to a teenager that was struggling with her daddy's rifle.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I would.

Actually, if they are young enough the '92 is good, and can be a back up later on. But...I do love my carbine.

Sold my '92 years back to a teenager that was struggling with her daddy's rifle.

A 92 is also a lot lighter than a 73. and set up properly with the right ammo few shooters can out run one.

Buckshot bear,

Keep in mind that a stock that is too long for the shooter will cause more problems than the over all weight of a long gun. 

if you cut the stock down do so with e thin kerf blade and save the piece you remove. As they grow you can lengthen the stock with a recoil pad until they are grown enough to reattach the rest of the buttstock. Hide the cut marks with a leather butt cover.

11 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

'73 Carbine...love it!

From what information I found,, an 1873 Winchester would have to be shorter than 20" to be considered a "carbine", which is a rifle shorter than original design. Basically, we shoot long guns that will hold at least 10 rounds. Perhaps a more useful poll would be what barrel length people shoot.

I shoot rifles and the odd musket at SASS matches:

30" 1873 rifle

24" 1873 rifle

27" 1866 musket

For the "is-it-a-rifle-or-carbine" class:

20" 92

20" 94 Marlin

20" Henry big boy

And if we ever shoot LR stuff I have:

1873 Trapdoor Musket

1885 High Wall

1886 Light Rifle (has half tube)

Remington Rolling Block

1895 Marlin XLR

1895 Big Medicine Winchester (verboten for SASS)

1895 Winchester SRC (again verboten)

I have a 73 Short Rifle, 19" barrel it's a Commanchero from Taylors, half round half octagon. I also have a 66 carbine with a 20" barrel. I love 'em both!

Frankenrifle.  Uberti 73   Started out as  a 24" rifle,   cut to 18"  with a shortened 66 stock.    

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have a 73 Short Rifle, 19" barrel it's a Commanchero from Taylors, half round half octagon. I also have a 66 carbine with a 20" barrel. I love 'em both!

I think mine is your first gun...but bought it from an old cowboy, never measured it!

When I was in CAS gun business many years ago I had most of my 73s (Cimarron was our main CAS gun wholesaler at time), sent to Cody for his fine 73 expertise.  In those days they were often sold before even being shipped back to us (thus Cody shipped on to new owner).  This is before 20" Deluxe models were readily available and one of his works was designated as "The Billy Boots Model".  As Evil D's, it started out as  24", mine with pistol grip, then cut to 19", lightened under the longer forearm , round BP crown (another story), rear sight modification, plus all his c/w action work.  I ran a number of those models through the years.  When Cimarron introduced the carbine, Cody did some special work on it to easily hold 10 and have his fine SS work.  Many, especially the ladies liked the weight of this model.  I remember being up in MI making some shoots and having his first sent to Fireball so I could pick it up and show it to shooters.  I bet Deuce and 3-gun Cole remember handling the rifle, although they were in the early days of their CAS shooting (them fast kids).  A number of years later when the 20" gun became heavy on the market I  decided to try one.  I liked it better and believe the slight increase in weight helped in balance for me.   My thought is that, perhaps due to my age, the lighter weight 73s are not as steady on my shoulder in shooting.   I still favor the crescent stock but Sassy prefers cut stock on her lightened 18-19" (from 20"). 

Bottom line to all this ramblin' is that lighter, shorter might not be for everyone.  Try as many as you can to see what balances best for you.  And, definitely try actually shooting them so you can  understand the movement in recoil as you cycle.  Feeling good as you point and cycle is of utmost importance.

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Buckshot bear,

Keep in mind that a stock that is too long for the shooter will cause more problems than the over all weight of a long gun. 

if you cut the stock down do so with e thin kerf blade and save the piece you remove. As they grow you can lengthen the stock with a recoil pad until they are grown enough to reattach the rest of the buttstock. Hide the cut marks with a leather butt cover.

What folks working with youth and reducing the lenght of the stock with intensions of making it longer later found was drill two holes through the butt the size that wood dowels will fit in prior to cutting it off.  Then later when reattaching the cut off portion of the stock dowels can be used to align the stock back properly in place.

Well...

Let's define the terms.   Broadly, in terms of barrel length.  I know that there are what were officially "short rifles" but we'll put them in the carbine category for simplicity

Less than 18" = Trapper

18-20" = Carbine

Greater than 22" = Rifle.
(I've never seen anything between 20 and 22.   I am sure they exist, but I don't know.  So I don't know how to classify them.  :)

So my Henry, 73, one 92 and 4 Lightnings are rifles.

Two 92s, 66 and the Spencer are carbines

The last 92 is a Trapper.

So I guess I most often shoot a rifle.   Not because I like them better, but because my favorite guns happen to be them.

'73 carbine for me after I switched from a '66 rifle

What a difference!!

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

'73 carbine for me after I switched from a '66 rifle

What a difference!!

Was it carbine versus rifle or 66 versus 73 that made the difference for you?

I have '73 carbines and rifles, mostly shoot the rifles, noticeably faster with them. 

Only reason for the carbines is certain stages where shorter works better.  Not many of those these days.

My rifles are Frankenguns I call my 24" carbines.

24" barrel turned down to round profile, carbine buttstock and carbine rear sights.

Don't know why Uberti never made round barrel rifles, balance is perfect, swings great and much better accuracy from the longer sight radius.

IMG_3417.thumb.JPG.731d9944a45aec934bdbd6a14f1e0089.JPG

7 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Was it carbine versus rifle or 66 versus 73 that made the difference for you?

I went from the Uberti '66 rifle to a SASS short stroked '73 carbine.

Lighter, not as muzzle heavy and the short stroking has spoiled me.

1873 Winchester 005 (2).JPG

1866 Yellow Boy in .45 Colt 016.JPG

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Very nice looking wood on the '66.

It's the typical Uberti red stain and laquer.

I've been tempted to strip it, stain the wood and just oil it.

34 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

It's the typical Uberti red stain and laquer.

I've been tempted to strip it, stain the wood and just oil it.

That's what I did (and still in the processing of doing with oil coats) yours would look really nice as you can see grain already in the stock and it looks to me quite attractive in your photo. My Uberti finish was applied so thick you could hardly tell it was wood.

8 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I went from the Uberti '66 rifle to a SASS short stroked '73 carbine.

Lighter, not as muzzle heavy and the short stroking has spoiled me.

1873 Winchester 005 (2).JPG

1866 Yellow Boy in .45 Colt 016.JPG

Not able to see the features that distinguish it as a carbine versus rifle.

It's the barrel length.

The 1866 Yellow Boy's barrel is 24 1/2", while the 1873's barrel is 20"

I find the '73 less muzzle heavy.

I shoot 2 different Miroku/Winchester rifles.  One is a 20" round barrel short rifle in .357, and the other is a 24" tapered octagonal sporting rifle in 44-40.  It seems like the 20" swings to the target quicker, but the 24" seems to be easier to keep on the target while levering. 

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

It's the barrel length.

The 1866 Yellow Boy's barrel is 24 1/2", while the 1873's barrel is 20"

I find the '73 less muzzle heavy.

My understanding after some cursory research on line is that an 1873 carbine is distinguished by a shotgun style butt stock and a banded fore stock plus a saddle ring. The barrel is shorter than a sporting rifle, but that is only part of it. Yours sounds like a "short rifle". ICBW.

Archived