SASS Wire Forum

8mm Mauser headstamp question

Capt. James H. Callahan

I just ordered some 8x57 used brass from a supplier. I actually managed to talk to him and he sent me some pics. Mixed headstamps, some even commercial WW but most are stamped 7.92  MM  42 and 44. I've not found a definite answer, but most of the info I've found the general consensus seems to be that it's Canadian, possibly as late as 1950's manufacture.

Any info from you resident cartridge experts?

Sus amigo,

JHC

Check the suppliers Remington Brass Has been available as recently as 2017 .... 

IVI has loaded 8x57 as recently as 1995 in Canada , and solftpoint Hunting loads are available Loaded by PMC up here ...

I use the RP brass to form to 9.3x 57 for use in my Husky..  One pass threw my sizing die , ready to prime and load ....

Jabez Cowboy 

I doubt if that's 1950s manufacture, since it is headstamp dated 1942 and 1944.

That old, it would have been corrosive primed. I do not know, but I have heard in various places that not only would corrosive primers corrode your barrel, but if you did not wash the corrosive salts out of the brass it would weaken the brass, and you would get short brass life.

I would follow Jabez's suggestion, and buy new.

This is once fired (theoretically) brass, not ammo. 8mm ammo and brass is scarce as hen's teeth except for surplus. Been looking for months. I just had a Yugo '98 scoped. I did get some Prvi soft point bullets for it a while back. This is mainly a stash rifle (paid $100 for it at Big 5 some years ago). I have a good deal of surplus I bought when I got it, but was wanting some hog/deer ammo. Only reason I had it scoped was I found a 3x9 Bushnell apparently new at a garage sale for $15 so that was a good excuse. I needed another scoped rifle like a hog needs a sidesaddle, this will be a good reliable rifle I can bury or carry in the truck ITSHTF that was relatively inexpensive. Plus who doesn't love a 98 Mauser just for what it is.

Much obliged,

JHC

Howdy Pard;

Foundry Outdoors  Lists PPU "Rifle line" ammo at $ 18.23 per box of 20 For soft point hunting ammo .

And S.B. Ammo at about $ 22 per 20 

They had some in stock recently and are expecting some in again soon .

Jabez Cowboy

4 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Howdy Pard;

Foundry Outdoors  Lists PPU "Rifle line" ammo at $ 18.23 per box of 20 For soft point hunting ammo .

And S.B. Ammo at about $ 22 per 20 

They had some in stock recently and are expecting some in again soon .

Jabez Cowboy

Problem #1 is those things are usually out of stock. Problem #2 is if you can find ammo at a decent price the $%^ shipping eats you alive unless you order a crap ton of it. But thanks for the post!

JHC

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I doubt if that's 1950s manufacture, since it is headstamp dated 1942 and 1944.

That old, it would have been corrosive primed. I do not know, but I have heard in various places that not only would corrosive primers corrode your barrel, but if you did not wash the corrosive salts out of the brass it would weaken the brass, and you would get short brass life.

I would follow Jabez's suggestion, and buy new.

From what I've read there was a booty load of surplus WWII brass (apparently the US and Canada made boxer primed 8mm's for some reason) that was sent to Canada and loaded for various sources after the war, hence the 1950's production with '40's headstamps. Supposedly the CIA even bought a bunch. Can't say any of this is true, just what I've been reading researching that headstamp just out of curiosity.

JHC

58 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Winchester still lists 8x57 brass... $29 for 50 Canadian Dollars

Federal lists Ammo .

Jabez Cowboy

Listing is one thing. Sadly having it in stock to ship is quite another these days.

JHC :(

Those Yugo 98's are pretty decent rifles.  Seem to be VERY accurate. 

My son has one in original configuration; I have one that I "sportered" back in the 80's - Bell and Carlson stock; Model 70 style bolt handle; Buehler safety, 2-piece bases, and rings; Timney trigger; and Parkerized.  Fitted with an old Weaver K-4 scope.

Not that it will matter to you, but just as a point of interest, the receiver is just about 1/10" shorter than a standard K98.  

Just about all of the ww2 production German ammo is going to be Berdan primed. Look first if you can or you will need a new decapping pin.

9 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Have you thought about fire forming 7x57 up.      GW

Not really, sounds like too much work. I haven't looked but I would imagine 7's would be as hard to find than 8's if not more so.

JHC

Winchester, Privi, Fiochi (haven't seen this brand in a while) Remington and Federal all list 8mm. But they're not going to make another run until they get caught up LOL, so what is out there is out there. Your brass is probably good enough if it's cheap enough. Yes you can load berdan primed (I'd rather not) I'd sort out the boxer primed commercial and use that for now, save the rest for a rainy day.

You would be far better off money-wise converting 30-06 to 8mm Mauser than 7mm Mauser, even with buying the trim dies.

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

You would be far better off money-wise converting 30-06 to 8mm Mauser than 7mm Mauser, even with buying the trim dies.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/how-to-convert-30-06-brass-to-8x57-mauser.671067/

I've already ordered 100 rds of these (all I should need). Seller decapped a few and sent me pix. Boxer primed. Yes, I will check them before I run a pin in 'em. I'll size them and make sure they chamber. If they don't I have a trick for that. Ran into a couple times, I have a shellholder ground down enough to bump the shoulder back a bit. Bought a bunch of 7.65 Mauser brass for next to nothing one time but could barely close the bolt on 'em. Next time I used the shorter shell holder and worked like a champ. Hard on the brass I know, but they work once at least as opposed to not at all.

JHC

Funny, I had barely pushed the button on the above post and Salty Sarah says "You got something in the mail, looks like brass." :D Sure 'nuff. Ordered it Wed. got it Sat.  Brass is polished (not shiny new but polished). What I've examined are 42 and 44 headstamps, shined a light down 'em, no Berdans that I've seen. I'll give a two thumbs up to the seller. I finally got him on the phone, guy named Adam. He even gave me a 10% new customer discount and knocked about $6-7 off shipping cuz he got it in a smaller box. Wound up costing about $10 less than when I placed the order on the website. Based on my experience so far I would highly recommend them. I've looked for months for 8mm brass at a half decent price and they are they only ones I've found who actually had it. If you need some brass give 'em a look! The Cary Brass Guy, Cary NC.

JHC :)

https://thecarybrassguy.com/

On 9/15/2021 at 3:40 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

From what I've read there was a booty load of surplus WWII brass (apparently the US and Canada made boxer primed 8mm's for some reason) that was sent to Canada and loaded for various sources after the war, hence the 1950's production with '40's headstamps. Supposedly the CIA even bought a bunch. Can't say any of this is true, just what I've been reading researching that headstamp just out of curiosity.

JHC

During WW2, most British tanks mounted the Czech designed BESA machine gun that was chambered in 7.92x57, which could explain the Canadian manufacture.

Just went thru the brass one by one and shined a light down 'em. 103 rounds, no Berdans to be found. So far I'm a happy camper. Have only seen one WW case, but I wasn't checking headstamps. They do have crimped primers but that ain't no biggie. I've dealt with those before. Case chamfering tool makes short work of those, just a bit of a PITA.

JHC:)

Archived