SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Wrangler Grip Question

Pat Riot

Is the Ruger Wrangler grip frame an XR3-Red grip frame?

I am looking for some new grips and have found some reasonably priced Wrangler grips that say the fit the original Vaquero.

Hey Pat. I own two wranglers but have no idea how to determine what grip frame it is :blush:. I’d be happy to take the grips off and send a pic, measure something, etc. Lemme know. 

Ruger used to cast the size of the frame into the frame. Removing the grips and you could see XR3 or XR3-RED.

I do not know if they still do this since they came up with the New Blackhawk and New Vaquero, so have no idea if it would be in the frame of a Wrangler.

But Dan, if you would be willing to take your grips off and take a look, that would be nice.

11 minutes ago, Derringer Dan said:

Hey Pat. I own two wranglers but have no idea how to determine what grip frame it is :blush:. I’d be happy to take the grips off and send a pic, measure something, etc. Lemme know. 

Thank you, but I don’t know if that would help. I found a couple of sites that said Wrangler grips were “XR3-Red” sized grips. I don’t believe they are marked with the size. 

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Have you tried calling Ruger and asking them?

Nope. I wanted an answer form experienced person that may have compared grip panels from a wrangler to a Blackhawk or a Vaquero.

Just for you I pulled my Wrangler and took off the grips and tried various grips.  No ID cast into the gripframe.  (For that matter there is no ID cast in the gripframe of a New Vaquero either.)  It uses the same grips as a VAQUERO, Old Army, current production Blackhawk.  So, yes XR3-Red.  New Vaquero gips do not fit.

26 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Just for you I pulled my Wrangler and took off the grips and tried various grips.  No ID cast into the gripframe.  (For that matter there is no ID cast in the gripframe of a New Vaquero either.)  It uses the same grips as a VAQUERO, Old Army, current production Blackhawk.  So, yes XR3-Red.  New Vaquero gips do not fit.

Thank you. :D

I did call Ruger and the poor girl in Customer Service had to jump through some  hoops but she said the Wrangler grips were the same  as the Bllackhawk and Vaquero so that's  a confirmation. I think I was on the phone when them when you answered.

Thank you all for your input. :D

The problem with most customer services desks right now is the people on the phone barely know how to push the buttons to answer the phone.  They know nothing about the products and often give erroneous information.  I had to buy some parts from Ruger a short while back and the person on the phone said they did not have those kinds of parts.  After a long discussion and finally being referred to someone on the production floor I got a "no problem" and the parts were sent.  You are wise to verify what the teenager on the phone says.

2 minutes ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

The Wrangler grips are the same as the Single Six and are supposed to be interchangeable... according to Ruger. They are on mine.

And that is part of the problem.  Depends on which Single Six you are talking about.  A current production aluminum frame .22 is not necessarily the same as a steel frame .32. There have been different grips over the years.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is the Ruger Wrangler grip frame an XR3-Red grip frame?

I am looking for some new grips and have found some reasonably priced Wrangler grips that say the fit the original Vaquero.

You are correct Pat, as well as the original Vaquero's. I got mine from Altamont but had to settle for rosewood. They don't look as good as the walnut would have, but hate returning stuff! They fir perfect.

56 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

You are correct Pat, as well as the original Vaquero's. I got mine from Altamont but had to settle for rosewood. They don't look as good as the walnut would have, but hate returning stuff! They fir perfect.

I got all excited because I didn’t look at Altamont Wrangler grips do I went to the website and DRATS! No Wrangler grips. I like Altamont grips. I may go ahead and order a set of Super Walnut checkered grips. Only thing is, I know they’ll take at least 6 weeks to get to me. 

This was the ad that got me wondering if Wrangler grips actually did fit Vaqueros. 

Walnut Ruger Vaquero/Blackhawk/Wrangler Grips https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M9AD88H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_T1A0HAPDNCC6VEAG1RJ6

I couldn’t post it earlier from work. 

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I got all excited because I didn’t look at Altamont Wrangler grips do I went to the website and DRATS! No Wrangler grips. I like Altamont grips. I may go ahead and order a set of Super Walnut checkered grips. Only thing is, I know they’ll take at least 6 weeks to get to me. 

When I ordered mine they said about six weeks. Then I got an e-mail saying they could only do the rosewood, so I took them. My Wranglers are the bronze ones and the red color looks a bit off. The walnut would have been much nicrr I think. The grips do fit and feel good however.

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When I ordered mine they said about six weeks. Then I got an e-mail saying they could only do the rosewood, so I took them. My Wranglers are the bronze ones and the red color looks a bit off. The walnut would have been much nicrr I think. The grips do fit and feel good however.

The thing that bugs me about Altamont is they have been doing this 6 week thing since CoVid took off. I have ordered 4 sets of grips from them in the past year and a half and they always take 6 weeks. AND they haven't replenished any of their stock. It was explained to me that they only have a limited amount of blanks and haven't received any more due to CoVid and supply chain issues. I call Bull **** because they were letting their stocks dwindle a year before CoVid. Also, they are supplying a lot of  S&W and Ruger's grips now.  I think that is where their resources are going.

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The thing that bugs me about Altamont is they have been doing this 6 week thing since CoVid took off. I have ordered 4 sets of grips from them in the past year and a half and they always take 6 weeks. AND they haven't replenished any of their stock. It was explained to me that they only have a limited amount of blanks and haven't received any more due to CoVid and supply chain issues. I call Bull **** because they were letting their stocks dwindle a year before CoVid. Also, they are supplying a lot of  S&W and Ruger's grips now.  I think that is where their resources are going.

Couldn't agree with you more. When I ordered mine  and followed up on why so long, they told me the  same thing.   Ellie's grips are the walnut  and the  plywood looks the same to me with just a different stain. So why couldn't they make mine walnut instead of rosewood. Check the Ruger site as well. They have nice grips with the emblem for the same price as Altamont. They were out of stock when I ordered mine and I haven't checked back.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I bought my Wranglers in spring 2019. Ordered slim grips from Altamont that June. Got two pair of regular thickness ones 8 weeks later. Called about incorrect thickness and they had me send them back (their dime). Seven weeks later got (you guessed it) two more pair of regular thickness. Called again, spoke with a very nice, very professional man who apologized profusely, had me return them again. Six weeks later to the day got another two sets of regular thickness panels.

Called and told them I would be keeping them and thinned them as best I could.

What was really weird was the packing list showed the correct part number and description but the number on the actual packaging was different.

Oh well made a nice early Christmas present.

Customer service - excellent

Product quality - excellent

Correct part sent - Still wondering

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived