SASS Wire Forum

Hurry, Hurry, read all about it!

My wife was fixing us each a bowl of ice cream the other night and our discussion, again for the umpteenth time, revolved around the issue of scooping ice cream from the half gallon container without having to strain a muscle or two to get the frozen stuff out! :angry:

We then thought, why don't they make an ice cream scoop that has a battery in the handle that when switched on, mildly heats the scoop, making it a breeze to scoop the ice cream.

Researching the internet I didn't find a battery powered unit, but did find this unique scoop that uses the heat from your hand to warm the edges of the scoop. :D

2021_09_15_09_29_29.thumb.jpg.5c90af6635ad8cfd118fd1913c4ee0bd.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010A9HU08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_VM4Y8DWF5Y0DHVD6T2QG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

20 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Microwave for 15 seconds.

If its a METAL scooper,  there will be more than just a warmed up scooper..... :o

Advice for scooping Ice Cream:   wet the scooper with warm or hot water before scooping.

And put a little elbow grease into your efforts.

..........Widder

23 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Microwave for 15 seconds.

Just now, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If its a METAL scooper,  there will be more than just a warmed up scooper..... :o

Advice for scooping Ice Cream:   wet the scooper with warm or hot water before scooping.

And put a little elbow grease into your efforts.

..........Widder

For you guys, I should have specified: Microwave ICE CREAM for 15 seconds.:wacko:

47 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

For you guys, I should have specified: Microwave ICE CREAM for 15 seconds.:wacko:

image.png.65590d8b9f3dbe5e73c965858a4223e5.png

I had a scoop that was battery powered. Took two C batteries in the handle. It did not work very well, and since the handle was hollow plastic, and I was applying more pressure than it was designed for, the handle broke.

I have an aluminum scoop with a hollow handle that, apparently, is filled with some type of antifreeze, and it transfers the heat from my hand to the blade of the spade. It is not technically a scoop. They call it a spade. Cast into the handle is a warning to not use it in the dishwasher. Apparently the heat of the dishwasher would cause damage to the antifreeze in the handle. It works - pretty good.

I have recently bought this.

315Jg9giAyL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

It appears to be a very thick, very sturdy, wooden handled spoon, which has had the tip of the spoon bowl cut off. My daughter has one she found[s] it [/s]IN a thrift shop, and it is a very very helpful cooking utensil. I've been looking for a strong spoon like that to cut down for years. Then I found this on Amazon. It is made like this. It is not a cooking utensil, it is an ice cream [s]slade[/s] SPADE. Notice that the tip has been beveled.

I have not yet used it for ice cream - I have not bought any since I got this utensil. But I have high hopes for it.

Well, I [s]save it[/s] SEE THAT although we got an upgrade, and we all got rocket ships, we redheaded stepchildren working off of our phones can STILL not do a strike over.

53 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Well, I [s]save it[/s] SEE THAT although we got an upgrade, and we all got rocket ships, we redheaded stepchildren working off of our phones can STILL not do a strike over.

What's a strike over, if I may ask? :blink:

Actually, I believe the correct term is strike out. Let's say you're writing something with a pen, and you use the wrong word. Can't erase the pen. You draw a line through the word. You strike it out.

If you're on the computer, up at the top of the screen there's a bunch of buttons. One of them is an S with a line drawn through it. You highlight the word or words you do not like and push that button and it draws a line through them. That is not available on a phone.

Before the last upgrade you could do what I did in this post --- [s] box an S on one side of the word or words you did not like and then box a backslash S [\s]. This would draw the line. The new update does not take this command.

I wonder if this one works  <S> word<\s>

Nope, that doesn't work either.

5 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.65590d8b9f3dbe5e73c965858a4223e5.png

Could you please explain this "whatever you don't eat" phrase.

Have never encountered that situation. :P

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

4 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Could you please explain this "whatever you don't eat" phrase.

Have never encountered that situation. :P

Regards

Gateway Kid

Bet you never heard of leftover bacon either.

1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

Bet you never heard of leftover bacon either.

If you are referring to "the chocolate of meats" you would be correct!!!:D

Regards

Gateway Kid

I remember a few months ago mentioning "leftover ice cream", and 40 Rod asking me to explain what that meant.

I don't recall in what contex my post was made, but I remember his reply.

7 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Hot water works very well also.

Wot Pulp sez.   ;)

That's what my mom's three youngest sisters did.  And they were professionals!   :)

Remember the 2009 Pixar animated film, "Up?"  The ending scene shows old Carl, young Russell, and Dug the dog sitting on the curb outside Fenton's Ice Cream Parlor, enjoying ice cream cones.    

Well, Fenton's is a real place, on Piedmont Avenue in Oakland, California.  The original dated back to 1894, and was also famous for creating Rocky Road, Swiss Milk Chocolate and Toasted Almond ice creams.  I had the history drummed into me - when I was in high school back in the 60's, my aforementioned three aunts worked there - lucky me!  At least twice a week I would stop in on my way home from school and get treated to a banana split, or a "black and tan," crab sandwich, or maybe just a root beer float.  Mmmmm Yum!  ^_^

But back to the subject - they would keep the scoops in a bowl of constantly heated water pot.  It would be a literal bouquet of heavy, cast aluminum scoops with plugged hollow handles filled with a heat-transferring liquid.  I still have two of those scoops; old, nicked, scarred from who knows how many thousands or tens of thousands or more scoopings... to this day the handles slosh when ya shake 'em.  And I'll still dunk 'em in a bowl of hot water!  

Here's Fenton's Creamery from the movie, and the actual place.  Usually has a line out the door.

Up &amp; Fenton&#39;s Ice Cream | Disneyland secrets, Disneyland, Disney attractions

Archived