SASS Wire Forum

Quality Advice

Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud

Was looking at guns like this.  But I have no clue as to the quality or worthiness of them.

Taylors & Company 1875 Army 45 Colt (LC) Revolver

is Taylor a good product. Is Uberti or others, better. Worse. Thank you for your advice !

Taylor’s guns are made by Uberti or Pietta or Pedersoli.

What Yul said ^^^^

I've never had any problems with Taylor's(mainly Uberti), Cimarron(Uberti and Pietta), or EMF Firearms(Pietta importer).

Have you fired an 1875? Been to any matches? 

55 minutes ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

Was looking at guns like this.  But I have no clue as to the quality or worthiness of them.

is Taylor a good product. Is Uberti or others, better. Worse. Thank you for your advice !

The Taylors 1875 Army Outlaw is made by Uberti, but with finish options specifically made for Taylors, one of the largest distributors of Uberti products.   If you have not handled an 1875, do so before you buy.  Also make a decision on what type of shooting style you will be using.  Some folks who shoot duelist or gunfighter say that they have a harder time reaching the hammer with the 1875 and 1890 gripframe.   By the way, Taylor's excels at customer service.  

My 7-1/2 inch Outlaws are from Cimarron. Made by Uberti. I took them apart and deburred them with a fine stone then added Texas Grips extended grips to better fit my hands. I keep them clean and we'll lubed and completely stock except the grips . They are my main match guns.

I have 7 1/2 and 5 1/2 Outlaws. They are great and I do like them, but they were a little rough compared to other single actions I've owned.

The metal of the internals is softer and, as mentioned already, the grip has a different shape that requires a longer reach.

I did run them for a very long time as a Duelist and had no problems, but I don't have small hands.

A good 'smith can get them running well, but if you are wanting to go fast, I'd go with a Colt clone or Rugers.

Great style points though! :D

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Taylor’s guns are made by Uberti or Pietta or Pedersoli.

This bears repeating!! ^^^^^^^^^

I used to have a pair made by Uberti. Had no issues with them.

As others have stated unless you have the hammer spurs turned down by someone they are not Duelist or Gunfighter friendly. One benefit is that the hammer spring tension is adjustable via a screw in the grip frame.

Mine had the hammers turn down and for me I found thinner grips worked better than the stock grips shooting Duelist.

I have several rifles sold by Taylors, all very quality guns.

Cowboy... big hands.

Been to one match to watch.  Have a used Pietta 1875 army blued with conversion 45LC and will shoot it some more.  What other considerations should I consider when choosing a revolver. 

Big paws? Same here. Try a SAA clone or Opentop with an Army grip, also the S&W clones are very good for big hands.

2 hours ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

Cowboy... big hands.

Been to one match to watch.  Have a used Pietta 1875 army blued with conversion 45LC and will shoot it some more.  What other considerations should I consider when choosing a revolver. 

Many other considerations like:

• barrel length
  • grips (plow handle, Bisley or birdshead) - handle them all and choose what you prefer
  • sights - some shooting categories require fixed sights
  • material - blued steel or stainless
  • caliber - 38 Special is most popular but not legal for Classic Cowboy

BTW, the original model Ruger Vaqueros (out of production but still available used) are large revolvers that may fit your hands.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This bears repeating!! ^^^^^^^

Are you saying On a Taylor you'll never know the real MFG.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I used to have a pair made by Uberti. Had no issues with them.

As others have stated unless you have the hammer spurs turned down by someone they are not Duelist or Gunfighter friendly. One benefit is that the hammer spring tension is adjustable via a screw in the grip frame.

Mine had the hammers turn down and for me I found thinner grips worked better than the stock grips shooting Duelist.

Turn down hammers??  is that a different profile or just modified hammers?

30 minutes ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

I bought them from a friend that I shoot with regularly. He sent the hammers to a gunsmith that re-profiled the hammer spur to make it easier to reach when shooting Duelist.

I am not exactly sure how it was done.  Could have been cut and weld or he could have heated them and then bent them down. Either way it was properly done.  I have has some other pistols that people attempted to do a DIY job on that turned out rather poorly.

What is an 1875 Conversion? I have a Remington 1858 Conversion.

8 hours ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

Have you held one?

Have you fired one?

OLG 

yes,  as I said.  Feels fine but im so dang NEW at it a cow patty would feel fine.  Some things take time and trying to figure out.  If its a good product,  that a place to start.   The advice about fit and grip are helpful and I'll re-asses this weekend.  Maybe next go to the CBA rang and shoot some steel.

1 hour ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

Taylor’s will tell you the MFG if you ask them.

2 hours ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

No, he's saying a lot of people think that Taylor's,  Cimarron and EMF are manufacturers, but they're NOT; they're importers. 

From what I can tell a majority of Taylor's guns are made by Uberti. 

Unless someone else just started, no one makes 1875 Rem clones except for Uberti.

Others have in the past, not now. The Ubertis are fine with what is noted above. Uberti AND Pietta make 1858s.

And the Nickel 1875s are actually Nickel plated and not stainless, if that matters to ya.

Uberti also makes 1890 Revolvers; same as 1875 BUT all blued, with 5 1/2" barrels only, without the 1875's "sail" of an ejector housing and they have a lanyard loop on the butt. The all-blued revolvers are kinda cool.

@Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud  If you are interested I have a line on a pair of 1858 conversions with 5.5" barrels in 45 Colt.

Here is a stock photo so you can see what they look like. They have a loading gate so you don't have to remove the cylinder to load and unload.

1858 New Model Army

If your interested I'll get actual pictures this weekend.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:21 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

@Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud  If you are interested I have a line on a pair of 1858 conversions with 5.5" barrels in 45 Colt.

Here is a stock photo so you can see what they look like. They have a loading gate so you don't have to remove the cylinder to load and unload.

1858 New Model Army

If your interested I'll get actual pictures this weekend.

are ya selling as a pair or you willing to sell an only child! 

3 minutes ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

Can a brasses case like this be used in cowboy action?  Can the conversion and 45lc be used? 

6ECA7D57-C4F4-4874-80DC-4F6D7D9D198B.jpeg

Yes Brass frame pistols that otherwise meet the rules are legal.

8 minutes ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

So the question grows... Can I use a conversion cylinder and 45CL??

Based on some fuzzy memory if the conversion cylinder is made by Kirst then .45 is too long and need to step back to Schofield's or Cowboy 45 Specials. Howell cylinders were fine. Use light loads in either per the manufacturer's. 

The original gun you posted doesn't use a conversion cylinder and .45LC is fine.

In '75s (and '90s), they are not conversion guns and already shoot 45 Colts just fine.

For the '58s (yes, I know they're not actually '58s, quit typing) the Kirst conversions shoot 45 Colts all day long, I have two of them.

The R&D conversions are six-shot, the Kirst, only five. Work great though. Awesome style points!

On 9/23/2021 at 1:49 PM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

In '75s (and '90s), they are not conversion guns and already shoot 45 Colts just fine.

For the '58s (yes, I know they're not actually '58s, quit typing) the Kirst conversions shoot 45 Colts all day long, I have two of them.

The R&D conversions are six-shot, the Kirst, only five. Work great though. Awesome style points!

So what you said,  is that gun,  Pietta 1858 Army .44 Caliber,  a conversion with soft loads is fine.  R&D would be great so you have five shots and a safety hole.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:01 PM, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

So what you said,  is that gun,  Pietta 1858 Army .44 Caliber,  a conversion with soft loads is fine.  R&D would be great so you have five shots and a safety hole.

Yes, that will work fine. I use the same .45 Colt loads as I do in my 75 Rems or my Vaqueros. They are not screamers by any means (5 gr Trail Boss under a 200 gr bullet) but I have no problems with them. I would caution to use a lighter load if you have the brass frame version of '58.

Archived