SASS Wire Forum

Non Affiliated CAS Clubs and S.A.S.S. Rules

Tyrel Cody

So we all know there are some CAS Clubs scattered around that are not affiliated with S.A.S.S. 

I'm curious how closely do these clubs follow S.A.S.S. Rules?

Do they keep a current version of the Official S.A.S.S. Rules on hand?

Do the regular shooters at these clubs that also might shoot at an affiliated club expect you to follow S.A.S.S. Rules?

Do these clubs make it known to shooters when they register that they do NOT follow S.A.S.S. Rules?

10 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

So we all know there are some CAS Clubs scattered around that are not affiliated with S.A.S.S. 

Do the regular shooters at these clubs that also might shoot at an affiliated club expect you to follow S.A.S.S. Rules?

Do these clubs make it known to shooters when they register that they do NOT follow S.A.S.S. Rules?

Most follow the SASS Rules.  Even some SASS Affiliated clubs do not follow the SASS Rules to the letter.  Some rules are over ridden with Range Rules which pertain to that specific range.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm curious how closely do these clubs follow S.A.S.S. Rules? Ask the individual club officials.

Do they keep a current version of the Official S.A.S.S. Rules on hand? Ask the individual club officials.

Do the regular shooters at these clubs that also might shoot at an affiliated club expect you to follow S.A.S.S. Rules? Ask them.

Do these clubs make it known to shooters when they register that they do NOT follow S.A.S.S. Rules? Ask the individual club officials.

The club I am MD for is non affiliated.  In part because we often have stages where the shooter may (if they choose to) shoot while moving to engage the targets.  Shooters are also permitted to move with a "hot" gun (hammer back on a live round), though trigger finger MUST be outside the trigger guard while moving.  There are a few other deviations from SASS rules as well, but that's the big one.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Why do you ask?

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Being affiliated with SASS doesn't mean you have to follow 100% when it comes to categories. Josey Wales, Outlaw, Tom Horn are not official SASS categories but we offer them at our monthlies and our annual match.

*Shooting categories offered at any match are ultimately at the discretion of the Match Officials to ensure the success and viability of each match individually.

SHB p.10

23 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The club I am MD for is non affiliated.  In part because we often have stages where the shooter may (if they choose to) shoot while moving to engage the targets.  Shooters are also permitted to move with a "hot" gun (hammer back on a live round), though trigger finger MUST be outside the trigger guard while moving.  There are a few other deviations from SASS rules as well, but that's the big one.

So , have you ever witnessed a round discharged while the shooter was  moving? What SASS penalty did or would you charge to the shooter? Maybe you also have different penalties? Just curious.

1 minute ago, Dungannon Gunner said:

So , have you ever witnessed a round discharged while the shooter was  moving? What SASS penalty did or would you access? Maybe you also have different penalties? Just curious.

We've had a couple of AD's while the shooter was engaging targets, and they all went safely downrange without incident. I expect we've all seen that with normal SASS type stages as well, it's par for the course (to steal a metaphor from another game).  So long as the 170 is observed, and a round doesn't go over the berm, an AD will only result in a miss, same as in a SASS match.  Penalties are what you would expect.  SDQ for moving with your finger in the trigger guard, unless actively engaging targets.  SDQ for breaking the 170.  SDQ (range rule) for a round over the berm.  Incidentally, I write stages with movement so that the movement is downrange rather than lateral, minimizing the chance of a 170 violation.

Keep in mind, moving while shooting is permitted in all of the other action pistol shooting games (IPSC, IDPA, 3-Gun, etc.).  SASS is the only game that I know of in which it's forbidden.  I'll keep my opinions of this to myself.

Archived