SASS Wire Forum

new to SASS

Capt Hawk Bohanon

I know this is a very general question but looking for some tips to get started in this! Yes I have the bug!

suggestions on finding the guns needed? availability is not good obviously but I figured somewhere in this society there would be some availability / ideas. 

Appreciate any helpful sage advise. 

In no particular order:

-Ask around at the club.

-Watch the classifieds here.

-Check gunbroker.

-Call @John Barleycorn, SASS #76982@Barleycorn Outfitters

-Call  Longhunter / longhunt.com

-Call Evil Roy 

-Call Cowboys & Indians Store

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Like @Tyrel Cody said, welcome to the place. A couple of observations on choosing your guns. Try to stay with one caliber for your handguns and rifle, it will make your life SO much simpler. If you think you would ever want to shoot Classic Cowboy, you will want to make sure your cartridge is .38-40 or larger. If not, go with the 38/357 calibers as they cost a lot less to run than 45s. You will find slightly better deals on used 45 stuff just because of this. The 38s have less recoil and ammo is easier to find in normal times too.  @Barleycorn Outfitters are fantastic to deal with, I have dealt with John before and will happily do so again.

Welcome to the MOST FUN EVER!! There are always folks selling/trading stuff at monthly matches and bigger matches… and, if you tell folks that your looking for stuff they’ll keep their eyes out for you… or maybe even decide to sell something they have… whatever you do, just keep going to matches and don’t get discouraged! 

Great big hugs!

Scarlett

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome! Have you been to any matches to observe and possibly try out guns?

If not, do that BEFORE buying anything.

What TC said x 1000.

Chat with as many experienced shooters as possible BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING.  You are going to hear some very different preferences, but listen to them all, then go have fun buying things.  

Ask twice -- buy once!  

My only advice is 1) buy quality.  It is worth waiting for.   Cheap stuff is harder to resell later.  

and 2), be sure what you are contemplating is SASS legal for your intended use and category.

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I don't know that I agree.  Just keep buying until your safe(s) are full. :P

There are a lot of big regional matches.  Always a lot of guns and stuff. Take cash. 

It starts out buying guns until your safes are full.  Then it progresses to buying safes until your house and garage are full.  Then come the loaders, components, and whatever else to fill up the smaller spaces.   

It lasts for the rest of your wife!

Part of the fun for me when I started was buying different guns and selling and trading. That was before I had a computer and all this info online like there is now. Going to a shoot before you buy can be MORE confusing than just going online. At a normal shoot with say 50 shooters, you'll get all kinds of different guns, advice etc. You''ll leave there confused! I never agreed with the "Go to a shoot before you buy anything advice". Just buy what you can find and what you think you like and of course what you can afford. Jump in with both feet! You're not going to lose much money and it some cases you may make a little or most times break even!

Welcome Capt Hawk Bohanon to the best game and folks goin. Hang on for the addiction! I shoot 45 colt and my shoots 38's. I like the looks of the BIG hole! My guns are also noticeably lighter that her 38's if that makes a difference. As stated above, try as many different guns as you can before laying down the funds. Cowboys/girls are most generous at letting you try their firearms.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!! Tyrel Cody offers good advice. Try as many guns as you can to see what you like and what fits your hands. I've gone through several sets of guns since I started but that's not necessarily a bad thing either.  Once you decide on the guns buy good quality leather, cheap leather can be very discouraging to use. 

Randy 

I’m with Rye on this.

I been doing this for almost 25 years. I have guns in 38 spl, 44Russian, 44 spl, 44-40 and 45colt. I have Colt saa’s, Colt 1860  & 1851 conversions, Ruger original big frame Vaqueros and New Vaqueros. All my rifles are in 44WCF. It’s the only caliber for a 73 Winchester in my opinion. I wouldn’t give up any of Em!

I shoot Em all regularly, but me, I’m playing cowboy, not competing. If My score is in the faster shooters of the match there are some mighty slow shooters at that match!:lol:

Try as many as you can. Don’t hesitate to accept an offer to try someone’s guns. Cowboy shooters love to let others try their guns.  It’s what we do!

Archived