SASS Wire Forum

Shipping cost on items that won't fit in flat rate boxes.

This didn't seem like a topic for the wire and the classifieds didn't seem like the right place either, that's why it's posted here.  Hope someone can help.

Easiest and cheapest way I have found to ship items for me has been USPS, flat rate boxes, envelops or small boxes by weight if the recipient is close enough.   I want to sell some larger items and wanted to get an idea on how much shipping could be.  A 30 lb, 2 cubic foot box going across country, zone 8, would run 75-80 before adding insurance using UPS or USPS. Is there anyway to ship items cheaper?

Thank you,

JSS

Not as far as I have seen.  I used to ship my leather orders UPS. But their prices have risen to the point where USPS prices, even for fairly large packages are cheaper.  The only time I would go by common carrier is if the dimensions and weight exceed USPS limits.

If it fits in the 'ship and fit' box and is WEIGHTY...that is the way to go.

Had to ship back Old Man Greybeards slicker after finding it after WR clean up....

The gal weighed it just to check, and the fit bix vs weight ship saved me $10.

I just shipped some brass to a newbie that had it fit in the medium fit box would have been $15... cost me $20 by weight.

Postal Service may not be as speedy...but the price is great compared to all others.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Had to ship back Old Man Greybeards slicker after finding it after WR clean up....

I just shipped some brass to a newbie that had it fit in the medium fit box would have been $15... cost me $20 by weight.

Postal Service may not be as speedy...but the price is great compared to all others.

Thank you but these items are bigger, 2 cubic foot, and will not fit into a large flat rate box.

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Not as far as I have seen.  I used to ship my leather orders UPS. But their prices have risen to the point where USPS prices, even for fairly large packages are cheaper.  The only time I would go by common carrier is if the dimensions and weight exceed USPS limits.

From online price calculation sites, both are close at the size and weight of my packages.  Guess I'll have to check both to compare prices. Distance (shipping zones) may make one better than the other. 

Thank you

21 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Lucky OMG's slicker would fit in a box     LOL       GW

On 9/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I used to order lots of cast boolits, usually got them in flat rate boxes. I'm sure the post office was cussin' the shipper and the postman was cussin' me when he had to deliver them!

JHC :lol:

Archived