SASS Wire Forum

Beretta 1301 verses mossberg 930 Jerry miculek

Trigger Mike

Having spent my life as a pump shotgun fan, the mossberg 590 was a good choice.  Now that my sonsnuse beretta shotguns for the school shotgun team I see the quality in a beretta. 

If you had to pick between the Jerry miculek mossberg or the beretta 1301 which would you pick

I've had the JM 930 and the JM 940 that I use for 3gun.  I've been assigned a Benelli Super 90.  I prefer the JM940 over the others.  Fit and finish is better.

I would take the Mossy as it fits me better.

My lady has a 1301 as it fits her better.

While I would take the Mossy, the 930 became unobtanium with covid, and the 940 came out but it was also unobtanium. The 940 is arguably better than the 930, more so when considering what the 930 would need to have the same competition features as the 940. But my search for either Mossy ended when I came across a used Remington Versa Max already set up for 3 Gun and I am happy with it.

I can shoot the 1301, but the LOP or something about it feels "tight" or "cramped" in my arms, the others feel more "open" in hand. My lady, OTOH, has to stretch to handle my gun and they feel front-heavy to her.

All of them run well, but I have not yet mastered the unload of the 1301 (other than to cycle the bolt until empty). I screw it up and jam the gun when unloading by the "preferred" method. My fault, not the gun. Read the manual carefully and practice the right way. It is a good gun, just make sure it fits you.

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

How do you like the benelli?

Well, I bought 2.  Although 1 lives with my son.   His is 28 in and slug barrel. Mine is 24 in and slug barrel.   They do kick a little more than gas guns, but the run great.  GW

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I've found some on gunbroker of each,  just trying to decide. 

Something to consider is which one has more aftermarket support when it comes to accessories and other options & equipment that can be added to the gun.

You can easily add a +2 extension to the 1301, and if you want to get 10 rounds in the magazine, it is available from the factory.

I did 3 Gun with a Maverick 88 5 round pump, and my skill held me back far more than than this field gun.

If magazine capacity is one of your check boxes, shop accessories before you buy.

Also, IIRC, there are two options for the slide release buttons depending on 1301 version. I think one of them is better for 3 Gun. The button can be swapped.

Besides these two items, not sure what else I would change on the 1301 for 3 Gun. The trigger isn't bad, stuffing shells is reasonably easy, and the bolt is easy to operate. You will likely have to shim the stock for LOP, drop, and cast.

My lady chose the tactical model, there is also a comp model worth looking at.

https://www.beretta.com/en/1301-comp-with-optional-magazine-extension/

Ready to run out of the box.

Okay, I have handled the Mossberg line and if you are left handed the Mossbergs have the advantage with their tang safety and non-pistol grip stocks.

Archived