SASS Wire Forum

Clean brass

Hoss

I don’t clean my brass after every loading. But after several it gets pretty dirty. I don’t think my guns care all that much, but arguably it may feed a bit better in the rifle and reloading dies if clean.  Also makes it easier for the brass pockets to see. 

i tried some of the Purple metal polish from Uniqetek. Added to my crushed walnut media, it made the brass look brand new. Shining like a diamond in a goats behind! 

if you like your brass shiny give it a try. 

93608898-58E7-4E0A-90CC-A4BC941C04D2.jpeg

Says to use 2.7 oz in a large Dillon vibrator. 12 oz bottle, I put about 1/5 in. Didn’t measure, just guessed. They recommend to ad a squirt every time. 

If you want your brass to be found, make it shine. I hate being a brass picker for someone that never cleans their brass as they blend right into the gravel and dirt.

Quick question or maybe two.

How does the polish react with a case lube? I'm currently using Lyman's corn cob media with some sort of polish in it and used dryer sheets cut into strips. After separating, I give my shells a quick spray of Hornady's One Shot case lube and tumble them in a towel before setting them into my loading boxes for my next session.

I'm just trying to avoid mucking up my reloading dies as much as possible an really like how the One Shot has been working for me.

I didn't clean my brass years ago, but it never hit the ground to pick up dirt and grit. When I started shooting rifles at CAS matches, it always got tumbled.

I use NuFinish and find it works well.

16 oz. Car Polish

Because my lead levels were elevated, I changed over to wet tumbling.  I bought one of those Frankford Arsenal rotary wet tumblers.  I just use water, Dawn dishwashing liquid and a small amount of lemeshine.  They come out shiny clean and no dust to breath in.  The only drawback is, I have to let the brass sit out for a day and dry before inspecting and putting in the bin with the rest.   The tumbler comes with 5lbs of stainless steel pins but I don't use them.   Too much trouble separating out the pins from the brass when your done.  I can clean 800-1,000 pieces of 38 spl. brass in one batch.  I couldn't do that much with the Frankford Arsenal dry media tumblers.

Bob,

if you'll hit the thrift shops, you might find a used, broken but repairable food dehydrator. That's what I did, and about an hour and they're dry ,,,,,, pins too. I glued some wire screen on one for the pins.

Works great, YMMV,

Isom

The polish distributes better if I cut it with mineral spirits. I chop up a dryer sheet too and everything is like new in 3 hours with used media. I tried wet tumbling and did not want to have to deprime first to avoid stuck primers.

Archived