SASS Wire Forum

Ruger tool for spring compression

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

I secure the hammer strut in a vise pointing straight up between two pieces of wood. Then hold the mainspring seat, that little piece with the slot that the strut slides through, in Vice-Grip pliers.  Slide the mainspring seat down on the spring far enough to insert a finish nail through the hole in the strut.

I use a fork -- the area between the tines is just about right for the strut to fit through.

--Dawg

And the fork works better for compressing the installed spring while working within the confines of the grip frame, too, while sticking a nail in the retention hole of the strut.

good luck, GJ

32 minutes ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

Does anyone know of a tool to compress the spring when you are changing to a new one in my case an ROA.

Thanks in advance

Hochbauer

I have an old fork I use

If you're not where a vise is handy, grasp the strut in a pair of vise grips, laying on a table with the strut pointing upward.  Then grasp the seat by its ends in a second pair of vise grips and simply do what comes natural.  It's easy once you have all the parts solidly captured in vise grips.   I quit using pliers, because I tired of crawling around in dark corners looking for the launched seat after my grip slipped.  The VGs work much better. 

I have tried the fork thing but think that I need a heavier duty one....But will try the vice grip method. The main issue I had was that when I did have the spring compressed passed the hole I needed another set of hands to put a nail to hold the seat in place.

Thanks for the info

This works pretty well.  Real Avid bench block.  Compress the spring using diagonal cutters with the beveled side down.  Cut one of the factory trigger springs to make a spring retainer (assuming you are replacing it of course).   This one had an internal lock instead of the mainspring seat but it works the same with or without.

20210913_174504.jpg

5 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

And the fork works better for compressing the installed spring while working within the confines of the grip frame, too, while sticking a nail in the retention hole of the strut.

good luck, GJ

?  I'm not following you. Pull the hammer back, stick something through the hole, let hammer down.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

I have tried the fork thing but think that I need a heavier duty one....

Don't use a plastic fork. :ph34r:

I've used the vice grip method. You don't have to crank down on them, just enough to hold it.

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Its kinda hard to do without a bench mounted vise.  

A bench mounted vise takes up room and is always in my way. I welded a 7/8 x 14 *something* (Dillon powder funnel?) to a small plate and bolted a small vise to it. When I need a vise, screw it into the Rock Chucker - everyone has a Rock Chucker, right...? 

Vise.JPG

When I worked on Rugers, I grabbed the Strut with Long Nose Vice Grip, shoved the other end thru the Seat then a decaying pin thru the strut.

CAVEAT:  I don't own Rugers.  Ergo:  I don't have that task anymore.

It's HOT and I am bored so some trivia.  In my post, which is the third one down. can anyone identify what the pin I am using is from?  (It is a gun spring to narrow it down a bit.)

Well, I was gonna guess that it was the pin to change a combination lock slightly bent! They work good too!

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It's HOT and I am bored so some trivia.  In my post, which is the third one down. can anyone identify what the pin I am using is from?  (It is a gun spring to narrow it down a bit.)

Looks like a fire extinguisher pin

OLG 

Archived