SASS Wire Forum

History Channel show Desert one

Trigger Mike

I watched the show on the failed Iranian hostage rescue last night.   I was old enough to remember some of it.  The main part I remembered from childhood was that was the only time I recall a president taking full responsibility for something going wrong.  

The show itself was informative.   Everything that could go wrong did from the beginning.   It was a noble cause.  

I too watched it. Pretty sad deal. The thing that really ticked me of was several of the hostages saying they thought Ronald Reagan (Candidate at that time) convinced Iran to hold off releasing them until after the election.  I really have a hard time believing that!

4 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I too watched it. Pretty sad deal. The thing that really ticked me of was several of the hostages saying they thought Ronald Reagan (Candidate at that time) convinced Iran to hold off releasing them until after the election.  I really have a hard time believing that!

I have no evidence and am not into conspiracies, but I think that theory is within the realm of possibility. 

40 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I always figured that they knew that they had Jimmy buffaloed and figured Reagan would turn Tehran into a parking lot if they didn't turn them a loose.  The timing of the release was just one more show of contempt for Carter.

Considering how he dealt with Qaddafi and his 'line of death' in the Gulf of Sidra, if that was the case, then I think that they figured about right.

During my time in the Navy I became friends with a couple of people that were on the Nimitz when this went down. Both remarked that because of all the secrecy about their actual destination, the CH-53s were not properly configured for operating in a high sand/dust environment. This was a direct contributor to the mission being scrubbed due to maintenance failures and the subsequent catastrophic ground mishap.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

It was Pappy Bush who rode the back set of an SR71 to & from Paris to conspire with the Iranians!

Archived