SASS Wire Forum

So how do you ....

Okiepan

I get up and go out and feed and water our animals. Water the garden if needed. Sometimes knockdown some weeds. Right now finishing stacking firewood for the winter. We have a few acres and there's always tree trimming and branches or leaves to clean up. 

Lately I've been helping my daughter with doctor appointments by watching my grandson. She's due with 2nd kid in about a month. My wife still works and I'll make dinner several times a week. Grilled some big pork chops for a couple days worth of dinners.

When my wife gets home we check on the animals again. She milked two goats from about April through August but is done with that now. She makes a lot of cheese. I try to take some time to get some reading in. Later I'll do some reloading or watch a movie. Most weekends I'll shoot a match but I've had to skip a couple of weeks after tweaking my knee.

Our grandsons come over a lot because they can shoot their bb guns and sleep outside in the fort I made them. It doubles as a elevated deck for me where I like to read when the weather is right. It's surrounded by redwood trees.. 6 years retired and loving it.

I'm working on a black belt in napping, working on the home improvements and redecorating jobs we started when we bought this fixer-upper, play with my toy trains (I am NOT a model railroader, I just play with toy trains), read a lot, and watch old sitcoms and movies on DVD.

I also think about selling or buying more guns.  More get bought than get sold. 

I also have a lot of very deep philosophical and political discussions with my dog.

When I can and they can, I eat out with friends.

I joined a Citizens' Academy put on by the town of Prescott Valley: 10 Wednesdays....9 more to go.... for three hours.  Every department in the town government, county folks that support us (Fire and Sheriff's Departments) the Chamber of Commerce and some local business leaders all speak and answer questions about how our town is run.  Every week a local eatery caters out supper.  It cost us nothing and they get a bunch of word of mouth advertising.  I took one over five years ago and the town has changed a lot since then.  It's inspiring enough that I may consider running for office.  My only previous experience was running for officers and one shot at a school board in California.

No pressure.  I do what I want, when I want.  Mostly I have nowhere I have to be and all day to get there.

Whatever my mood says to do. 

I just reviewed what I do each week. Man I’m exhausted just thinking about it. I don’t know how I have time to visit the Saloon let alone post a response. 
It’s a wonder I ever had time to work for a living. 
I won’t bore you with the details.
Suffice it to say, there ain’t no time left over for any of that work stuff since I retired!  ;)

CJ

I want to thank all you experienced "retiree's" for your insight and wisdom.

My last official day of work was August 27 and I am still contemplating whether to take a part time job or just call it good as is.

I will be 65 in December but we have done a decent job of prep work for this (my wife has been retired 2 1/2 years) and finances are ok. In fact she is headed to Morocco on November 1 for a couple weeks on photo safari while I will be doing a little hunting with some friends. (plus taking care of the horses, dogs, chickens, a few honey do's etc.)

So far sleeping in past 6 is a challenge because that has been wake up for most of my life and I have completed most of the small stuff fixing with only a few bigger things remaining.

So now what?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I'm usually up between 6 and 7 local, take the dogs out( have two "seniors" that don't do steps anymore that have to be carried out and in), not so great on the bum hip. Take m y meds, fill the pet bowls, wait for my paper, sit and do the crosswords. Check e-mail accounts( mostly spam anyhow). Mow when needed , shovel when needed(UGH!), chores/repairs, watch TV some, do a bunch of you-tube or DVD's, SASSwire.:rolleyes::lol::blush:

Don't fall for the trap of taking a "Part Time " job, Like Pastoring a Small Church, only 50 hours a week.......

Jabez Cowboy

I do what I have to do, such as chores, fixing something, or mowing, or going to the grocery store. 

Then I think about what I would enjoy doing...like making paper cartridges for my percussion revolvers, or making paper shot-cups, for my muzzleloading shotgun, or making bullets, or going to the cow pasture to shoot.  I may work on a painting, or read, or write. I can pick up my grandson after school, sometimes, and I get to see and be with him. I eat when I am hungry. I have a drink when I want. I don't have to be anywhere, or punch a time-clock, or report to a bone-headed boss. I don't have to put up with traffic, going to and from work.  

Not sure what the best thing was before sliced bread, but I will say that retirement is the best thing since sliced bread. 

I retired with only one regret...that being...that I could not have retired sooner!!!

It's great, and I recommend it. 

But...retirement did reveal one thing....daytime t.v. really stinks!!!  

W.K. 

On 9/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I want to thank all you experienced "retiree's" for your insight and wisdom.

My last official day of work was August 27 and I am still contemplating whether to take a part time job or just call it good as is.

I will be 65 in December but we have done a decent job of prep work for this (my wife has been retired 2 1/2 years) and finances are ok. In fact she is headed to Morocco on November 1 for a couple weeks on photo safari while I will be doing a little hunting with some friends. (plus taking care of the horses, dogs, chickens, a few honey do's etc.)

So far sleeping in past 6 is a challenge because that has been wake up for most of my life and I have completed most of the small stuff fixing with only a few bigger things remaining.

So now what?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I've been retired since 2005 and still wake up every morning within fifteen minutes of 5:30

Whatever SWMBO says. Also keep grandkids. Kylie is in 1st grade and Ryder is almost 3. Kylie gets on  and off the bus at our house. Their mom is off work for another 3 weeks due to surgery. After that, they will get here about 0640.

Been retired for 18 years now, went early at 56. Sometimes I get so busy I wonder when I ever had time for work!   :o  The main thing is if I can't/won't get to it today, I can always think about it tomorrow.  :D

:FlagAm:

I retired from the computer industry... I do miss the work... I most definitely do NOT miss the management.
I continue to support a select few clients to keep their business systems running.

I continue to write software for my own amazement.
These days it revolves around guns, loudspeaker design and a shopping list for our lodge events.

I have 5400 loads in a spreadsheet in the cartridges that interest me.
BHN, VMD, Burn Rate, Fill%, Recoil, Twist by bullet, etc, etc.
And this load data along with everything else gun-related that I have learned along the way.
It is a continuous work-in-progress.
It has gotten so large, I am replacing replace cell formulas with on-demand macros because the sheet is starting to slow down and get sluggish.

I continuously haunt the internet vendors to find the few items I still need.
Yesterday, I got lucky... Powder Valley had 8# of N133 and 1# of Buffalo Rifle in stock.
I grabbed both, and they immediately went "out of stock"
If one figures the Hazmat and Shipping, PV is usually the overall least expensive vendor.

I found a 1# jug of H322 for $30, had to drive 20 miles to pick it up.
I traded 400 SPP for some SRP to get started before varmint season in March.
The son-in-law in Reno scored 20k of SRP, so I'm buying 2k from him next week.

My LGS has a few bricks in stock, but $90 per brick, his cost.
He thinks they may come down a few $$, but never ever going back to $29 per brick.

Most of all... I'm just plain bored.

Archived