SASS Wire Forum

To cut or not ???

Scrub Oak Willie 53737

I’ve always looked at it as a individual decision. It just depends on what you want to do with it . The drawback I see is if you are the type of person who buys/sells allot of guns once it has been converted to be competitive in SASS you’ve limited your potential pool of buyers to cowboy shooters 

Howdy Willie.

If its a back up, then leave it alone.   Its value 'AS IS'  gives a wider market for resale.

But as mentioned above, a good bit of the value becomes 'premium'  to mostly Cowboys.

Good luck.

..........Widder

What's your reason for buying and having the gun?  Only you know the honest answer to that. 

If you "bought a nice backup" - well, have it tuned to work.  No use to a backup that won't run as well as you want.  That's just a boat anchor.

If you bought to invest and make money, then leave the wrapper on and sell it as new in box, now or later.  But generally firearms prices are higher now than they may be for a couple of decades to come.....

If you bought it as "a maybe backup" and you realize it might be worth more if you just sold it. then admit that and find the right buyer who VALUES the new-in-box cachet.    Take the money and buy a well used SKB and make that your backup.

Know yourself, and be true to yourself.   No need to explain/justify to all your cowboy pards why you buy and sell.  It's your money and enjoyment, not theirs!

good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Scrub Oak Willie 53737 said:

I have one done by Eddie now , this would be a backup.

I feel very strongly that backup guns should fit, feel and function exactly the way primary guns do.  I don't ever want to have to "re-learn" a gun in the middle of a match.  

6 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I have to say, Shanley's long barrell hammered 'falls open' with ease.

The weight is only felt luggin it to the stage!!!

It falls open easily because it is a hammered shotgun, barrels opening are not automatically cocking hammers.

CUT plus all the "race-gun " goodies..   Lots of good go-to smith's that can fix you up..  My list would be Fast Eddie, Doc Noper, Johnny Meadows, and Lefty Wheeler.  I happen to like some additional barrel work by Briley.

You didn't say what length it is currently, but I looks like a 26" field gun.  If so, and especially if new, I'd leave it as is.  You can always change your mind and cut it later if you decide you really need to do so.  I've shot a 26" Miroku SXS for years and never had any issues moving around props, etc.  The so called advantage of cutting it down are greatly over-exaggerated, at least in my opinion.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

On 9/13/2021 at 10:30 AM, Scrub Oak Willie 53737 said:

Should I have it reworked for cowboy??

8DF6D675-32C1-482B-82D7-89922FBF1004.jpeg

2507D96F-D388-4846-8211-311C3341EF77.jpeg

F65C945E-4123-4A05-ABEA-2CEDEBE62A73.jpeg

No Scrubby sell it to me :-) I'll do it :-) 

Fast Eddie will be at the TN state match, just bring it with you and let him fix it for you.  Right now its just a BBQ box gun.

Kajun

Earlier this year I found an unfired new in the box SKB 150, with the manual, warranty card, and SKB patch.  Sent it off for a Fast Eddie action job and barrel trim.  NO regrets, I bought it with the intent to use for CAS.  Box went in the trash, I did keep all the other stuff which is now taking up room in a drawer somewhere. 

I shoot an SKB 150 with 26" barrels.  When I bought it in 2017, the only things I did to it to prep it for CAS was to remove a linkage in the action to disable the auto-safety engagement and install a brass bead instead of the factory front sight.  I figured that if I decided that the extra length caused me problems that I could always cut it later.  I haven't found a reason to cut it yet.  

Funny how we thing all cowboys shot coach guns. Shortened shotguns were used in confined/limited spaces, like on/in coaches. Pretty sure most cowboys used shotguns to get some dinner once in a while, and being longer would work better. I like mine 26" for the most part, longer that that gets a bit unwieldy. So, don't cut it.

I can't believe there is even any discussion about this on a Cowboy forum.  The answer seems self evident. 

On 9/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Funny how we thing all cowboys shot coach guns. Shortened shotguns were used in confined/limited spaces, like on/in coaches. Pretty sure most cowboys used shotguns to get some dinner once in a while, and being longer would work better. I like mine 26" for the most part, longer that that gets a bit unwieldy. So, don't cut it.

https://truewestmagazine.com/shootin-shot/

"Nineteenth-century shotguns were made with long barrels, averaging 28-32 inches, as shown by these Astoria, Oregon, express company guards, circa 1880s. Sawed off guns allowed for easier handling in tight quarters, but the long-tubed models had a better range and a bit less recoil when fired."

On 9/13/2021 at 11:17 AM, Scrub Oak Willie 53737 said:

I have one done by Eddie now , this would be a backup.

If you bring it to Ocoee this Saturday, I'll get it to Eddie for you. He got Ophelia a new one in the box about 3 years ago, & Eddie cut the barrel to 22", & we got the stock cut to fit her midget LOP.

Archived