SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550C spent primer chute issue

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

Howdy - been enjoying going through the teething pains with my 550C purchased a number of months ago. The thing overall works great - but there is a small issue that can create big problems. My spent primer chute stays open as I raise the shell plate. Have played around with the cotter pin, but that seems to work through maybe 5-10 cycles at best.

Any solutions to keep the the chute closed during depriming and working properly?

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Saw where someone added a small weight to the top end of the spent primer chute     Plus find a small peice of plastic to place in the cup to raise the sides up to catch more primer before the hit the ground ( pet peeve on 550 ) GW

I've had the same problem on occasion. The culprit is definitely the cotter pin. On my 550B, the pin is made out of aluminum, don't know if it's the same for yours. The pin seems to turn sometime during the operation and bind the chute open. I simply folded the arms over to about a 33 degree angle to the chute and about 3/16" away from the chute using needlenose pliers. Haven't had a problem since and that's been about 3 years ago....I will now, of course, because I said something worked.

+1 on replacing the cotter pin and...  go with an aftermarket chute (https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1346-550 works great)

Also, on the pivoting part where the cotter pin goes through, get a couple of small, flat magnets (mine are 1/2" round) and stick em on the sides of that part. It's steel, so they will stick, it gives more weight to make it not stick open and it makes the sides higher and spent primers are less likely to bounce out the sides.

I had to work over both parts of the chute with a stone, use a slightly longer cotter pin( couldnt get the bend completely out to rebend), and add a few #8 shot to the movable chute to get flawless operation. OK not flawless but acceptable drop to spent primers.

Imis

Straight, thin cotter pin works for me.   That Dillon clip hangs up way too often.

good luck GJ

Archived