SASS Wire Forum

Covid hits close to home.

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

My 20 year old grandson called his dad (my son) and asked to be driven to the hospital.  He was having difficulty breathing and was vomiting violently.  He was admitted to the ER at the largest hospital in Las Vegas.

This was seven days into the bout diagnosed as COVID and the meds failed.  He had been at home for a week.  Last call was about an hour ago and he's responding to treatment, but likely won't be going home for a day or two.

I've know people who tested positive for the virus but none have had this serious a reaction to it.

I'll call again in an hour to check on him.

Prayers coming your way. 

Stay strong for your grandson. 

Prayers heading your way Forty.

It's very personal for my family.

To date, I have lost my brother in law, April, 2020, and two female cousins; July and August 2020

All were in LTC, but had underlying health issues.

Me 'n' Schoolmarm send our prayers and best wishes!!

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My 20 year old grandson called his dad (my son) and asked to be driven to the hospital.  He was having difficulty breathing and was vomiting violently.  He was admitted to the ER at the largest hospital in Las Vegas.

This was seven days into the bout diagnosed as COVID and the meds failed.  He had been at home for a week.  Last call was about an hour ago and he's responding to treatment, but likely won't be going home for a day or two.

I've know people who tested positive for the virus but none have had this serious a reaction to it.

I'll call again in an hour to check on him.

Prayers.

Know many who had positive tests...most are mild illness...2 are in hospital now...

They pumped him full of antibiotics to fight the pneumonia (that may or may not have anything to do with the COVID and scares me a lot because my wife died of pneumonia) and sent him home.  It seems they are running out of beds.  

He was improving when I last heard and my son will call me with updates.

The kid's tough and young and a born fighter.  His dad and step mom both are back at work after two weeks of because they tested positive, but had almost no symptoms.

All three of them work in a facility that takes suspected mental cases in off the street.  They are admitted with NO precautions.  They are not tested for any communicable disease, are not required to wear masks and are generally able to move among the rest of the hospital population.  I'm surprised the whole damn lot aren't down with symptoms.

Thanks for all the prayers

Prayers,40! It seems that stuff affects people differently. Just depends on the individual. So far we've lost a neighbor, my younger son's FIL, and peripherally, my SIL to it. Wife's employer and her son got it early on, but got over it okay. Vacs are a necessary evil to avoid a nasty bout with it.:(:blush:

Two of my daughters are COVID nurses.
The senior one contracted it again and is now over it.
She credits  the Pfizer vax for making it just an irritating nasty cold, rather than a knock-down mortal battle.
She got it the first time as unknown a year ago last January... then she got fully vaxxed (Pfizer).
She was scheduled for a booster when she and another on her team caught it again last week.
Both the home test and formal tests came back positive.

Her hospitals has rigorous PPE and protocols. 
They sterilize their phones 4~5 times a shift, and use the Ultraviolet sterilizer as well.

As soon as she came down with it, she started steaming herself to attempt to kill it in the nose and throat, before it went to the lungs.
Once it gets down there... a person is in for the fight of their life.

Most folks do not get it: most infection results from hands-to-face contact.
My Dad was an eye doctor and ragged me endlessly... "Son, keep your damn hands away from your face..."
Phones used by the general public are rarely cleaned or sterilized, and so many folks fiddle with them constantly.

#1: keep your hands washed and sterilized.

Just the other day while driving to town, they had a program regarding the Covid.  They said that with two vaccinations the Covid virus will enter through the nose but will stop right there.  The person will normally experience various minor symptoms, but a 99% chance of not needing to go to the hospital.  With an unvaccinated person, the virus will enter the nose and continue to the lungs and the fight for life is on.

Up here north of the Medicine Line, unvaccinated Covid patients are filling the hospitals and the ICU's.  The Doctors said that Alberta is almost at the stage where the Triage Project Will have to kick in.  All elective surgery has been cancelled.  Last week Alberta went back to mandatory masks for stores and events.  The town nearest us has a population of 8,500 and two restaurants shut down due to staff not wanting to work amongst unvaccinated people.  A&W closed completely for the same reason.  McDonald's and Dairy Queen are drive through only and, we are just coming up to flu season. 

Get those vaccinations, folks

40T Prayrs on the way.

Tell him not to lay around no matter how bad he feels.  Crawling is better than laying around. Inactivity leads to pneumonia and blood clots. Have some friends that got it before the vaccine was available and their MD informed them that no matter what, do something, anything other than laying in a bed. He emphasized that crawling around the bed every hour or two was better than dying of a blood clot. They each got one of those breathing exercisers to assist in deterring pneumonia as well

Best wishes & prayers  for a speedy recovery for your grandson!

Prayers up to the Great Physician, the Lord Jesus, the King of the Universe, for His healing.

I am enduring my 5th week of covid. It can affect people very differently. I went to the E.R., but after 6 1/2 hours in there, a chest x-ray, and several temperature checks, and blood pressure checks, they sent me home. 

I still have a cough, and shortness of breath, and I lost my sense of taste and smell. The doctors told me it seems to usually affect men more severely than women, and my wife got over it very quickly, unlike me. 

The vaccine will not prevent you from getting it, but they think it may lessen the severity of it...yet the doctors told me, that it has little effect on the new variant going around.

Before anyone asks, no, I have not received the vaccine. I am still studying/researching it, and hoping to find out it's short term effects, and perhaps longer term effects...and how effective it is. I do not regret not getting it, it was my choice.  

3 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Prayers up to the Great Physician, the Lord Jesus, the King of the Universe, for His healing.

I am enduring my 5th week of covid. It can affect people very differently. I went to the E.R., but after 6 1/2 hours in there, a chest x-ray, and several temperature checks, and blood pressure checks, they sent me home. 

I still have a cough, and shortness of breath, and I lost my sense of taste and smell. The doctors told me it seems to usually affect men more severely than women, and my wife got over it very quickly, unlike me. 

The vaccine will not prevent you from getting it, but they think it may lessen the severity of it...yet the doctors told me, that it has little effect on the new variant going around.

Before anyone asks, no, I have not received the vaccine. I am still studying/researching it, and hoping to find out it's short term effects, and perhaps longer term effects...and how effective it is. I do not regret not getting it, it was my choice.  

Prayers up, buddy!

Not only get the Covid shots, but also get the pneumonia shot.  It is a one time shot, good for life and will protect you if in hospital for other reasons.  How many people do you know or heard of, who went to the hospital for various ailments but ended up dying of pneumonia instead?.  In Canada it is free for the asking.

Archived