SASS Wire Forum

Sad news...

On August 31 - twelve days ago - a Navy MH60 Seahawk helicopter with six souls aboard crashed into the Pacific off Southern California.  One was rescued; the others were lost with their aircraft.

Sad news indeed, but more so when I just learned that the pilot was one of our Eagle Scouts.  I served on Scouting committees with his mom when he was a kid.

Godspeed, Lt. Foster, to you and your crew.

5 Sep 2021
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The U.S. Navy on Sunday identified five sailors who died when a helicopter crashed in the Pacific Ocean off of Southern California.

They were Lt. Bradley A. Foster, 29, a pilot from Oakhurst, California; Lt. Paul R. Fridley, 28, a pilot from Annandale, Virginia; Naval Air Crewman (Helicopter) 2nd Class James P. Buriak, 31, from Salem, Virginia; Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Sarah F. Burns, 31, from Severna Park, Maryland and Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Bailey J. Tucker, 21, from St. Louis, Missouri.

The MH-60S crashed on Aug. 31 about 70 miles (112 kilometers) off San Diego during what the Navy described as routine flight operations. It was operating from the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.

One sailor was rescued after the crash. Five sailors aboard the aircraft carrier were injured but were said to be in stable condition.

The Navy declared the sailors dead on Saturday following days of search-and-rescue efforts and switched to recovering their bodies.

I don't need the thoughts and sympathies, but his mom surely does.  She's now at the top of my prayer list.

I remember how devastated she was when she lost her husband - I cannot begin to imagine how she's coping. :(

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I don't need the thoughts and sympathies, but his mom surely does.  She's now at the top of my prayer list.

I remember how devastated she was when she lost her husband - I cannot begin to imagine how she's coping. :(

Pass along our best wishes to his mom and tell her we're praying for her.

For Lt. Foster. :FlagAm: may you never be forgotten.

And to his mother...

1478c3bebc01ec09232bfe9df671b04d.gif.db451b28d4dd41fc822806d79bfe485d.gif

Archived