Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Just me or is it pretty awesome


Tennessee williams

Recommended Posts

   One of my favorite things to do in SASS is watch a newer than me local club shooter learn, grow, and accomplish goals no matter if the goal is to shoot clean, dress the part, or shoot faster. It's right up there with shooting and deciphering a stage to me. 

   From the shooter starting out averaging in the 40+ second range telling me he wants to average 30 seconds per stage and then 25 seconds to the shooter moving from toward the end of the score sheet to consistently placing high by asking questions and actually listening to the answers and just trying. I love it. Is it just me or do some of y'all get a lot of enjoyment out of it too? Heck, I even like seeing Cap'n BB reach his goals...when his goal isn't to beat me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree TN.

And like DOC, that is one of the reasons I try to help when needed (requested),  make videos of dry fire

practice, and videos on how to do certain, safe mods to a couple firearms.

 

And, I might add, I've entertained dozens of Pards on the phone, both new and seasoned, with

questions and help.

 

But it ain't just me doing this..... I've had numerous Pards help me in person and over the phone

with my questions, etc.....   Curly Bill Kelly and Lassiter are two of those that come to mind at this

time.    I've even been entertained in conversation with DOC and Creeker.

And even Red Knee has been helpful and encouraging a few times.

 

P.S. -  there is a slight possibility that of the 100's of conversations between TN and myself,

he may have even shared some useful info..... :lol:

 

..........Widder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

   One of my favorite things to do in SASS is watch a newer than me local club shooter learn, grow, and accomplish goals no matter if the goal is to shoot clean, dress the part, or shoot faster. It's right up there with shooting and deciphering a stage to me. 

   From the shooter starting out averaging in the 40+ second range telling me he wants to average 30 seconds per stage and then 25 seconds to the shooter moving from toward the end of the score sheet to consistently placing high by asking questions and actually listening to the answers and just trying. I love it. Is it just me or do some of y'all get a lot of enjoyment out of it too? Heck, I even like seeing Cap'n BB reach his goals...when his goal isn't to beat me!

 

Agreed!

 

ALSO, isn't really cool to watch  Cap'n BB's son progress(especially since he's gonna be kicking his dad's tail soon)? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

Agreed!

 

ALSO, isn't really cool to watch  Cap'n BB's son progress(especially since he's gonna be kicking his dad's tail soon)? 

 

24 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

When I was an instructor we called it a light bulb moment, when they put it all together and it makes sense. 

He hasn’t had that ‘light bulb’ moment yet. 
 

He can run 16s, 17s, and 18s, on easier stages, but his shotgun is probably 5+ seconds for 4 shots. He also isn’t consistent yet, maybe because he’s trying to hard to beat me.

 

When he works out his shotgun and gets consistent he’ll beat me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Capt BB,

If his SG is a SxS or 97, not only will the class help him, but there are MANY good SG shooters

at the state that he can hopefully pick up a few pointers that can help him.

 

..........Widder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Capt BB,

If his SG is a SxS or 97, not only will the class help him, but there are MANY good SG shooters

at the state that he can hopefully pick up a few pointers that can help him.

 

..........Widder

 

Don't be corrupting the innocent with that heathen 97 crap..  lol

 

 Sxs or single shot all the way!!!

 

 

By the way, since little evil decided to shoot a 97 I've been playing with them a bit more.   Even won a few things with them.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, evil dogooder said:

Don't be corrupting the innocent with that heathen 97 crap..  lol

 

 Sxs or single shot all the way!!!

 

 

By the way, since little evil decided to shoot a 97 I've been playing with them a bit more.   Even won a few things with them.    

 

What no lever action?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

 

He hasn’t had that ‘light bulb’ moment yet. 
 

He can run 16s, 17s, and 18s, on easier stages, but his shotgun is probably 5+ seconds for 4 shots. He also isn’t consistent yet, maybe because he’s trying to hard to beat me.

 

When he works out his shotgun and gets consistent he’ll beat me.

I know the feeling,   both my kids started shooting this year.    My son went from 90 seconds to high 30s. My 8 year old daughter from 140 to low 80s in 5 matches.... I give it 2 seasons and I'm going to be the slowest in the family. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tequila Shooter said:

 

What no lever action?

I have an ongoing battle with the 87.  I'll be getting mine back from lassiter next week and we shall see.   When im on I rank it almost up there with my sxs.   When im not.. ..    well.... bad words are spoken...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, evil dogooder said:

I have an ongoing battle with the 87.  I'll be getting mine back from lassiter next week and we shall see.   When im on I rank it almost up there with my sxs.   When im not.. ..    well.... bad words are spoken...

 

I got mine from Lassiter about one month ago, but between vacation and then that PIA Ida hitting, I haven’t been able to use it yet.  Comin at Cha will be my first match with it.  At least I’ve been able to practice loading it with dummies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love it or hate it..... the 97 still rules a lot of speed events and such.

 

A lot of top shooters use the SxS and a lot of top shooters use the 97.

Admittedly, the 97 has help create a lot of new cuss words when things don't go so well

for the shooter..... :lol:

 

..........Widder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Solid information is invaluable. I progressed mightily from match one to match two because a couple pards said “hey have you tried…”

 

now I’ve got ol Doc Shapiro in my ear, things are looking up! I love to learn. 
 

I think lots of guys are starving for some solid SASS shooting tips out on the interwebs. Hard to know who to hear and who to tune out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

Solid information is invaluable. I progressed mightily from match one to match two because a couple pards said “hey have you tried…”

 

now I’ve got ol Doc Shapiro in my ear, things are looking up! I love to learn. 
 

I think lots of guys are starving for some solid SASS shooting tips out on the interwebs. Hard to know who to hear and who to tune out

   I try to listen to everybody and decide what will work for me. It's not always the fastest shooter that gives some dang good advice either, so keep that in mind. It may be the guy that's been shooting SASS for 20 years that finishes in the middle of the pack just because that's where he wants to be or has the most fun being. 

   Also, look to your home club. I can't count how many times someone will ask on the wire for advice on a particular thing when they belong to the same club as an expert at exactly what they're asking for help with. I'm not saying don't ask questions on the wire. Far from it. But, if I shot with the guy that invented 1911s he would be the first one I'd ask about 1911s.

  Don't be afraid to pick people's brain about particular things. No one person will have all the answers. When I started shooting duelist I talked to Randy St Eagle and even called up Pecos Nick about transitions and the theory behind them. I talked to Widder and some other fast shooters about shotguns. If I seen someone burn it up with the rifle, I talked to them about it. When someone needs to hear a good lie they call me:D

  Good free info is out there for anybody wanting to learn. I'd say not all but a lot of folks are like me and genuinely want to see people do good. 

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

   Also, look to your home club. I can't count how many times someone will ask on the wire for advice on a particular thing when they belong to the same club as an expert at exactly what they're asking for help with. I'm not saying don't ask questions on the wire. Far from it. But, if I shot with the guy that invented 1911s he would be the first one I'd ask about 1911s.

 

 

^ this is so true.

 

Many clubs have some great shooters willing to share techniques and personal secrets if it can help a fellow

shooter.

Just because someone doesn't have a popular name or videos on YouTube doesn't mean they don't

know their stuff just as well as others.

 

Good Luck Wyo Joe.

 

..........Widder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s some darn fast and smooth shooters in my club, I’m definitely getting as much info from folks as I can, but y’all know how it is when you’re new at something you want more and more input 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy seeing new folks improve and get past all the guns and gears malfunctions. Then they look at me and say dont do like him. I can always serve as a bad example.

 

Imis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I enjoy seeing new folks improve and get past all the guns and gears malfunctions. Then they look at me and say dont do like him. I can always serve as a bad example.

 

Imis

Imis, you're one of the ones I was talking about finishing just where you want to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2021 at 9:49 AM, Tennessee williams said:

   One of my favorite things to do in SASS is watch a newer than me local club shooter learn, grow, and accomplish goals no matter if the goal is to shoot clean, dress the part, or shoot faster. It's right up there with shooting and deciphering a stage to me. 

   From the shooter starting out averaging in the 40+ second range telling me he wants to average 30 seconds per stage and then 25 seconds to the shooter moving from toward the end of the score sheet to consistently placing high by asking questions and actually listening to the answers and just trying. I love it. Is it just me or do some of y'all get a lot of enjoyment out of it too? Heck, I even like seeing Cap'n BB reach his goals...when his goal isn't to beat me!

I agree with Tennessee, I enjoy helping new shooter and watching them improve.. Heck I even keep a big stick in the truck in case they need some help paying attention! :rolleyes:

 

Randy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I agree with Tennessee, I enjoy helping new shooter and watching them improve.. Heck I even keep a big stick in the truck in case they need some help paying attention! :rolleyes:

 

Randy

It's amazing how you swing it once and hit a fella 3 times with it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.