SASS Wire Forum

9 September 1967

Duffield, SASS #23454

We were  supporting a RF/PF mission at Vi Thanh (in the least pacified province in South Vietnam - even the kids shot at us with slingshots).

About 4:00 P.M. we went out to pick up the troops.  On our way into the first Landing Zone our gunship support called Tiger Lead and told him that we were receiving fire and he was to take the flight back up.  Capt. Ang**  kept going in as if he didn't hear them.  We were the seventh ship back, and my Aircraft Commander leveled off and said: "We'll wait for him up here."  I leaned back to reach my microphone switch ( that helicopter had very short mike cords, the only one I ever saw that I could not clip that switch to my fatigue shirt ) to make a smart remark about breaking the formation's integrity.  At that time, a bullet almost missed the helicopter.  It hit a projection on my machine gun mount, filling my knees with fragments.  It also filled the insulation over where my neck would have been had I not been nagging the AC.

After a few moments of panic, I realized that they had not blown my legs off and we went to the advisor's compound, where a medic pulled fragments out of my legs and told me that I would have arthritis "some day."  What did that mean to a 20 year old? My feelings at the time were that I had got off pretty easy.

In 2009 I had the right knee replaced, and in 2010 the left was replaced. 

I have no hard feelings to the man that shot me - at the time I would have shot him if I could.  It wasn't personal.  He was a good soldier, doing his duty.  As was I.

Thank you, Sir!

Missed you at Black Gold!!

22 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Thank you, Sir!

Missed you at Black Gold!!

I sure hated missing Black Gold, but was worn out from the trip to Africa.

I will be at the next one.

Duffield

Archived