SASS Wire Forum

She Was Supposed To Sing At The NFL Game Tonight

Subdeacon Joe

But was cancelled because of her COVID vaccination status .

"

After being canceled for the NFL to perform the Anthem at the season opening game because of my vaccination status, I decided to sing anyway. Except this time not for the theatrics of a football game…this time I sang for America. To remind her who she is…the land of the free and the home of the brave.

This is dedicated to anyone that has taken a stand for freedom. I stand with you."

Whoever she is, she was doing pretty good. Until she got to the last two lines. Couldn't sing it straight. Had to sing her version.

That's a shame. Because, like I said, she WAS doing pretty good.

You have a beautiful anthem, but I must confess, I prefer to hear it sung more forcefully, rather than as a moody ballad.

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Nice job.  If she'd of played it for the NFL, I never would have seen it because I've already cancelled the whole NFL.

Same.  There is only one National Anthem.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Whoever she is, she was doing pretty good. Until she got to the last two lines. Couldn't sing it straight. Had to sing her version.

That's a shame. Because, like I said, she WAS doing pretty good.

The beauty of America is you can sing it the way you want  and you can choose to like it or not! Works both ways!:FlagAm:

Did you ever hear Madison Risings version?

25 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Amazing - you'd rather complain about how she sings the National Anthem than the fact she censored because of her "vaccination status"...

My thoughts exactly. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The beauty of America is you can sing it the way you want  and you can choose to like it or not! Works both ways!:FlagAm:

Never heard of him (or her, as the case may be).

But you are wrong. There are two different songs that you're talking about. There is the Star-Spangled Banner, which is a song, and as a song, you can sing it any way you want to. You can sing it fast. You can sing it slow. You can change tempo midway through. You can change the notes. You can change the words. You can change the style of singing. You can even sing it as a rap - oh say, say say, say say can you see, pop a cap on his ass. Because that is a song and you can sing a song how ever you want to.

Then we have the National Anthem. It only goes one way. If you play it, or sing it, a different way - you're not doing the National Anthem. You're doing "your version" of The Star-Spangled Banner.

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Never heard of him (or her, as the case may be).

But you are wrong. There are two different songs that you're talking about. There is the Star-Spangled Banner, which is a song, and as a song, you can sing it any way you want to. You can sing it fast. You can sing it slow. You can change tempo midway through. You can change the notes. You can change the words. You can change the style of singing. You can even sing it as a rap - oh say, say say, say say can you see, pop a cap on his ass. Because that is a song and you can sing a song how ever you want to.

Then we have the National Anthem. It only goes one way. If you play it, or sing it, a different way - you're not doing the National Anthem. You're doing "your version" of The Star-Spangled Banner.

I disagree no matter how you spin it’s the same song! In America were free to do it the way we want! You may choose to like the version or not! :FlagAm:

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I disagree no matter how you spin it’s the same song! In America were free to do it the way we want! You may choose to like the version or not! :FlagAm:

Same song? This is the National Anthem?

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Same song? This is the National Anthem?

I hated it and that’s my point you can love or hate the version that you’re hearing but we’re free to do it as we please! This is AMERICA ! 

I tend to treat singing the National Anthem the same as flying the flag.

Sure, there're guidelines for the flag in U.S. law (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8), but the bottom line of it is in the spirt of the display -- if it's in a patriotic and respectful spirit, a little leeway in the formal details is going to get a pass from me. I've seen artwork that depicted a tattered U.S. flag -- I'm not going to demand it be burned. The actual Star Spangled Banner itself -- stained, shot torn, tattered, and missing pieces -- is on display in the National Museum of American History. Should it be destroyed, per the code, 'in a dignified way'?

Likewise with the anthem. To me, artists who bring their best as a tribute to the anthem are welcome to sing it in their own style, whether it be Whitney Houston, Madison Rising, a 10-year-old from Dallas or a 98-year-old World War II vet. 

I noticed that YouTube clip did NOT say they were doing the National Anthem. It said they were doing the Star-Spangled Banner. Which they were. Their VERSION of the Star Spangled Banner.

But they were not doing the National Anthem.

19 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Madison Rising is my favorite version. Francis Scott Key wrote it as he was being held prisoner overnight on a British ship that was involved in the bombardment of Fort McHenry. He wrote it in a "Kiss my a$$" defiance attitude because our flag and country were still there and strong in the morning. I feel it should be sung loud and proud and not as some weepy ballad. My 2¢ worth.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I noticed that YouTube clip did NOT say they were doing the National Anthem. It said they were doing the Star-Spangled Banner. Which they were. Their VERSION of the Star Spangled Banner.

Splitting hairs.  "The Star Spangled Banner"  IS our national anthem, no matter the setting. ANY rendition of the SSB is a rendition of our national anthem.  "National anthem" isn't a title, it's a description.  Ask 1000 people "What is our national anthem?" and, excepting those who have no clue, the answer will be "The Star Spangled Banner."

Re: Madison Rising version.  While I admire his talent, and like the visuals in that video, I very much dislike his rendition.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

Chords , lyrics and melody are no different no matter what you call it! You’re  not making any sense whatsoever!  :wacko:

I switched from the Giants game to the Oakland A's game when the reminder popped up.  Usually when we have games overlap like that we go to to 2nd game then go back to the 1st.  A young Airman with a gorgeous voice was singing The Star Spangled Banner before the Oakland game.  Clean, straight forward, no frills.  One of the best I've heard.

Archived