SASS Wire Forum

Magazine tube insert

Snakebite

I have an aluminum insert (reducer) tube in my 357 Uberti  73 Rifle. Can't remember where I bought it... might have come from Slicks old site. Does anyone know where I can get another one? All I can find are the fiber ones, and I don't care for them.

TNX.

Snakebite

We have them from Lefty Wheeler and Jimmy Spur

31 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Patrick Reagan at Badman Bullets ships very promptly, for whatever it's worth.  Excellent vendor, IMO, for cast bullets and most Slix parts, tools, and accessories.   

36 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What's the benefits for installing one of these in a .357 '73?

In other words.....do I order one?

The stock magazine tube is large enough in diameter to allow rounds to stack unevenly.  An insert reduces the diameter and keeps the cartridges better aligned,  which helps feeding.  An insert also keep the emerging cartridges centered, going into and up the front ramp into the carrier.  That assures that, under magazine spring force, they properly hit the stop on the receiver wall. 

If a shallow case rim or misaligned cartridge happens to pass below the stop, there isn't anything stopping them sliding backwards and obstructing the toggle motion.  I have only seen that happen once, but it was a show-stopper.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DYcZNYAAy_Gc&ved=2ahUKEwjo-P7z_OXyAhXCl-AKHe4OBGIQwqsBegQIBBAE&usg=AOvVaw3PzoJ09DyaaXa6JP-7MEM4

I don't use an insert myself, mostly because I haven't gotten around to buying one.  If you do install one, be sure to coat the inside of the mag tube and outside of the insert with a good grade of oil.  Also, pull out the insert every few months (sooner if humidity is high) to clean out rust and re-oil the steel magazine tube.  Otherwise, the Uberti magazine will quickly corrode from inside moisture or  condensation.  If left too long, the insert can be VERY difficult to remove.  

Buy most of my accessories from Online Outpost, Durango, Colorado     Terry is great person to deal with.    Sells parts for Evil Roy     GW

12 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I have an aluminum insert (reducer) tube in my 357 Uberti  73 Rifle. Can't remember where I bought it... might have come from Slicks old site. Does anyone know where I can get another one? All I can find are the fiber ones, and I don't care for them.

TNX.

Snakebite

Why is the metal one superior to the fiber ones?

Kajun

30 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Why is the metal one superior to the fiber ones?

Kajun

I'm working on a gun now for a friend that has one of the fiber sleeves in the Mag tube. It is rough and scored to the point that the follower on the end of the spring actually hangs up sometimes. I couldn't get the tube to come out the front, which is an easy task with my metal tube. So I removed the mag and then ended up driving out the fiber tube though the back side. It looked to me like some liquid had got into the magazine.... either from the cleaning process or maybe someone sprayed some lube in the tube to try and get the cartridges to not hang up.... I don't know, but what I do know is that it attacked the fiber tube and it was a real PIA to get it out of the Magazine. IMO... the metal tube is much better. It can withstand lube and cleaning chemicals without damage. The inside diameter is a MUCH better fit to the 38/357 ammo than the fiber tube is.  The fiber tube that is in the gun came as part of a tune-up package from #### ###.  Another thing that was done to the gun that doesn't make any sense to me was that they ground off about 50-60 thousands of the Cartridge Stop tab that in part of the loading gate. Seems like a dumb move to me, because given a precise situation, it will allow the cartridge to get pushed by the cartridge stop and into the action. That was the original issue that got the gun to me. Why would anyone do that?

Snakebite

The old Dremel problem..

I cannot understand why anyone would deliberately grind or file down the stop (if they understood how the action works-----which is not necessarily a given for many "gunsmiths").   IMO, grinding on a receiver is always cause for pause.  

I could see it happening if they were over-aggressive on a buffing wheel, trying to polish things in order to "SLICK" the action.  In jewelry making, you learn quickly about the extensive (and EXPENSIVE) damage that can be done in fractions of a second on a buffing wheel.  

Only way I know of to fix it would be a careful TIG build up and regrind.  I'd lend you my TIG, but it now resides in Utah with the last person I loaned it to **×!/!*

The easiest way to correct the situation is to just replace the loading gate, which is what we are doing. The stop on the receiver is unmolested. Also, the magazine insert appears to be made out of some type of an extremely thin phenolic resin tubing. It's most likely something found on the internet that had the right outside dia. It's so thin that the original follower has just been ground down a bit and reused.

Archived