SASS Wire Forum

Primer manufacturing?

Currahee

Here we are in our second shortage year, a situation much worse than 2012.  I have looked at the manufacturing process on You Tube and the procedures are very hands on and old fashioned looking.   Of course, these are extremely hazardous materials being used and manufacturers would naturally be very conservative in their outlook on this process.

It seems to me; however, that a new automated and computerized manufacturing method could be implemented by the people who understand the complexities of the systems.  (Certainly not me).

I wonder if this is being considered by some firms not currently in that business (Dillon comes to mind).

In another "primer" post a few weeks ago ... I did a search to see what was going on at the Anoka facility and found this ... (below) ... 

https://www.startribune.com/more-layoffs-at-federal-cartridge-in-anoka/417476093/

Looks like they were all ready to step things up and had to back off instead ... (low demand) ... 

Timeline ... March 2017 … just as President Trump began his term …

>> a few excerpts from the linked article <<

"In all, 172 workers downsized through layoffs and buyouts since about March 1. The Anoka facility cites slow market as the cause." 

"As the election approached, fears of possible new gun control laws in the United States resulted in increased firearms sales, including ammunition. As worries dissipated with the election of President Donald Trump, a known opponent of government regulations, gun and ammunition sales have fallen, industry watchers said."

"Federal Cartridge’s downsizing came as a surprise to state officials, who as recently as November had approved $1.15 million in state grants and loans toward a $33.9 million factory expansion and efficiency project in Anoka. The state aid came with the company’s promise of 50 new jobs."

>> end <<

If some company is even thinking about this, they sure have not put it out as news releases.

The priming compound (which forms the ignition pellet) is the hardest part, and most of that as I understand is made in India and shipped to primer manufacturers.  It's extremely unstable and tends to blow up facilities.  So, not a lot of interest in the US or many other countries for setting up a facility to make that (lead styphnate).

And, the new non-toxic version of priming compound still has performance problems. 

Industry in a state of flux -

https://www.mdpi.com/2227-7080/7/4/75/htm

So, few companies want to invest in a segment of technology which may change drastically in the next few years.   They seem to just be content with holding current production capabilities and waiting to see what priming technology "shakes out" in the near future.

good luck, GJ

If it were easy to speed up the process of making primers do you really believe the manuafacturers would not have thought of it in the past 150 years that primers have been made?  Virtually all manufacturing is now run by computers.  Primers are, however, one of those processes that have to be done the old fashioned way - by hand.  Here is a video.  Look at 3:45 to 4:40.

50 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If it were easy to speed up the process of making primers do you really believe the manuafacturers would not have thought of it in the past 150 years that primers have been made?  Virtually all manufacturing is now run by computers.  Primers are, however, one of those processes that have to be done the old fashioned way - by hand.  Here is a video.  Look at 3:45 to 4:40.

things change.

19 hours ago, Banjo Bob said:

Here we are in our second shortage year, a situation much worse than 2012.  I have looked at the manufacturing process on You Tube and the procedures are very hands on and old fashioned looking.   Of course, these are extremely hazardous materials being used and manufacturers would naturally be very conservative in their outlook on this process.

It seems to me; however, that a new automated and computerized manufacturing method could be implemented by the people who understand the complexities of the systems.  (Certainly not me).

I wonder if this is being considered by some firms not currently in that business (Dillon comes to mind).

I doubt any company is going to spend 10's of millions of dollars or more to build a new primer manufacturing facility.  By the time they get all the permits and money, the primer shortage will probably be over.

I'll also note that barring some major improvement, the new company/facility will have to charge pretty much the same price as the other primer makers due raw material costs, labor costs, health insurance, etc

Several days ago I was speaking with a employee of Federal. He mentioned that when Remington was getting back into production the owners decided to send raw materials required for primers to the Remington plant in AR. so they could start up. This diminished production at Federal in MN. In addition the industry as a whole ( primer manufacturing) is having difficulty in acquiring raw materials from India and Chian.  Covid , lack of employees and delays in shipping have all made it more difficult.

Archived