SASS Wire Forum

Substitute Black Loads

Black RZR

Ok so where I'm going with this is....

Does substitute Black , specifically Black MZ, need to be loaded the same with no air gap . I have been told by a source (shooter) that no I don't have to fill case to bullet.  Like I said I do trust him I just afraid to do it lol anyone else

Not like real BP in that aspect, in fact the bottle says not to compress it.  I’m not sure how big of a deal that really is because I routinely compress it and I haven’t had a problem.  But rest assured if there’s a gap it won’t hurt anything, just make sure you don’t go too light. 

You don’t have to use filler with Black MZ or APP though some folks do. 

hugs!

Scarlett

Alliant is contradictory on loading Black MZ. In muzzleloaders, they say to "seat the ball firmly on the powder charge", while in cartridges they say not to compress the charge. :unsure:

I avoid an air gap, personally, but even if it is not dangerous, you may find that your loads will be more consistent without a gap.

I’ve followed Capt George Baylor’s advice and use a column of foam caulk backer rod as a filler in .44-40 loads.  Good results so far.

APP has been my "GO-TO" propellant for several years now.  The APP folks caution not to leave an air gap so I don't/haven't.  The APP folks also say not to compress the load.  I have in the past accidentally compressed and got some wonky results in my Cap Guns.  So, I don't compress.  I do shoot reduced loads and use a filler.  Breakfast Food.  I use Cream-0-Wheat as my filler with great results.

I figure the APP folks know of which they speak so I follow their suggestions.  Black MZ is essentially APP with a wonky granule size/texture and I presume the "new" Black MZ, re-names for someone else is probably the same.  

Clean-up is a snap.  Super easy.  I use APP for all my suppository pistol and rifle ammunition.  Including my 38-55 Handi for Plainsman.  Load data s simple.  APP to the base of the bullet.  ANY bullet.  ANY lube.  No Lube.  Really great stuff for playing on the Dark Side.

Scarlett is your "GO-TO" source for APP.  ENJOY

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

... I presume the "new" Black MZ, re-names for someone else is probably the same.  

"New" Black MZ? I haven't heard about it coming back.

Pinnacle, APP, and Black MZ all had the same patent number. Sportsman's Warehouse had BMZ @ $9.99/pound, and with one of their "$10 off a $50 purchase" or "$30 off a $150 purchase" coupon, plus a military discount, BMZ could be had for $7.49/pound at SW, but it was discontinued about five years ago, even though stocks were such that it was still available until about two years ago.

100_2267.thumb.JPG.13126cb1fe1ff835a4dc054e625b6461.JPG

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Probably thinking of this product, manufactured by APP and marketed by Shooter’s World (here in South Carolina, ahem).

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00130multiblack1/shooters-world-multi-purpose-fff-black-black-powder-substitute-1-lb-by-lovex

As mentioned above, load the same as APP. 

Load either:

-with no airspace, bullet just touching powder.

or

-less powder with filler taking up empty space.

I much prefer the former.  All my black powder loads (or BP substitute loads-rarely load) are full case with no filler. 

Three Foot :)

Yep.  Abe E. S. got it in One.  Shooters World Multi Purpose 3F.  Black MZ buy a new name.  I just couldn't remember the what is now being called (Memory of Gnat).  Single Granulation as was Black MZ.  APP with a different Moniker.

27 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Three Foot :)

Yep.  Abe E. S. got it in One.  Shooters World Multi Purpose 3F.  Black MZ buy a new name.  I just couldn't remember the what is now being called (Memory of Gnat).  Single Granulation as was Black MZ.  APP with a different Moniker.

I used to have CRS - Can’t Remember Stuff, as I’ve gotten older it’s progressed to CRAFT - Can’t Remember A Fricking Thing :ph34r::D

I tried Shooters World BP sub.   It is a little finer granulation than Black MZ.  Price is competitive.  I will buy more.

20 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I used to have CRS - Can’t Remember Stuff, as I’ve gotten older it’s progressed to CRAFT - Can’t Remember A Fricking Thing :ph34r::D

Don't worry.  If you can't remember, it wasn't important. :)

On 9/9/2021 at 2:12 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Shooters World, which I rep for, wanted a BP sub.  I introduced APP to Shooters World and Shooters World Multi-Black was born! It is essentially the same formula that APP made for Alliant. The label says APP 3F but it’s coarser than that - really like

a 2.5 F. I load it in my shotshells and it works great.  I load APP 3F in my cartridges.

I offer it by the pound or case at matches and it’s available online at Graf and Son, Natchez, Midsouth Shooters Supply and others. They may be out of stock at the moment but more is coming. There is plenty of stock of APP 2 and 3 F. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

33 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

The label says APP 3F but it’s coarser than that - really like

a 2.5 F. I load it in my shotshells and it works great

I noticed the larger chunks when I loaded my 357 loads with multi black. It gives good smoke and cleans easily. I used hi tek coated bullets with no lube. I sent you an email about ordering a case of APP 3f so I can load up for Florida in January.

27 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

I noticed the larger chunks when I loaded my 357 loads with multi black. It gives good smoke and cleans easily. I used hi tek coated bullets with no lube. I sent you an email about ordering a case of APP 3f so I can load up for Florida in January.

Got it last night and will be in touch! 

Hugs! Will miss seeing you at TN!

Scarlett

Archived