SASS Wire Forum

Metric or Imperial

Buckshot Bear

is that like .... revolver or jamomatic ?

....  Ford or GM?

.... Maryanne or Ginger?

.... 9mm or .380 ?

:huh:

3 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

is that like .... revolver or jamomatic ?

....  Ford or GM?

.... Maryanne or Ginger?

.... 9mm or .380 ?

:huh:

ROFLMAO!!! I :)

Imperial…metric is too European. ;):D

Actually I can use both. I prefer metric on mechanical things.

Imperial for measurements, weights and quantities. 

There is nothing more aggravating than a truck or a train with both SAE and metro hardware. There is a special place in hell for some GM engineers who designed the 4.3 liter engine with hardware that has metric heads and SAE threads. Dirty bastages! Then you have Ford that likes 3 different pieces of hardware for a starter installation. 2 SAE and 1 Metric…make that two special places in hell. Right next to each other so they can fight and bicker with each other while little demons stab them in their butts. 

Imperial is the system of measure in the US for everyday life.  They tried to convert us in the '70's and early '80's and it failed- miserably.  Unless you use it at work, the only metric measures Americans run into in everyday life is the 2 liter soft drink bottle.  We see it in hobbies like working on cars more than we see it in real life. 

I figure most folks are like me and think in Imperial, too.  Meters are just long yards and liters are overfilled quarts.  Most of us are capable of doing quick and dirty conversions to get us into the ballpark, too, like kilometers are about 6/10ths of a mile, so 100km is about 60 miles, 100 kilograms is 220 pounds, 2 meters is 6 feet 6 inches.

I love using ‘Merican measurements when dealing with folks that grew up using Metric. They usually have the same look that I used to have when someone used metric measurements with me. :lol:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There is nothing more aggravating than a truck or a train with both SAE and metro hardware

My '74 Norton Commando had SAE and Metric and Whitworth.

I'm pretty well acquainted with both. Metric system is of course much more logical. I guess I should buy some metric sockets. Sure chaps my hide to make three trips to the hardware store to find a socket that fits only to find it's metric!

JHC :angry:

I was in school in the '60s' when Australia changed, one day we were Imperial and the next Metric, but even 50+ years later after the metric change here in Australia TV's are still sold in inches, surfboards in inches, newborn babies are in Lbs and inches, jeans and belts are often in inches and lots of other things.

Doesn't much matter, really.  Everyday life, Standard or your favorite way of talking about pound, gallon, foot system.  At work we do both, depends on the drawing the customer gives us, although all the programming is done in inches.   And the machines record everything in inches.  That means I have to convert all the metric on the drawing to Standard.

Then back to metric if the customer wants a formal First Article.

Set up another place in Hell for engineers who make metric drawings but don't change the data block to say that it is a metric drawing and doesn't call out the metric tolerance.

I prefer normal American measurements. When somebody says 18 1/2 inches, I know how long that is. When somebody says 27 centimeters, I got no idea without doing the conversion. The only metric sizes I can easily convert in my head are caliber sizes, 5.56, 7.62, 9, 10, 12.7, etc. 

The first time I read"1984" I was very confused with the old guy in the pub complaining about a half litre being not quite enough and a pint being just right. "What?  A pint is less than a half litre!".  It was a few years later that I learned that the Imperial Pint is 20 ounces, not 16 ounces.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The first time I read"1984" I was very confused with the old guy in the pub complaining about a half litre being not quite enough and a pint being just right. "What?  A pint is less than a half litre!".  It was a few years later that I learned that the Imperial Pint is 20 ounces, not 16 ounces.

I had a discussion about that with a Brit one time as he went on and on about how the Imperial pint was 25% bigger than the US pint.  “oh no it’s not” said I.  But he persisted. Finally I was able to get him quieted down and I pointed out that the Imperial fluid ounce was smaller than the US fluid ounce. The Imperial cup, pint, quart and gallon are only 20% larger than their US counterparts.

Neither.    Always thought it was funny with the argument of metric vs American    Our fraction measurements or metric.   But our their money is fraction and our money is metric--Right?       GW

Our money went "metric" on the 14th of February 1966  ^_^

Weights and Measures were some time later ..............

................. we had to wait for the old people to die first so' they wouldn't have to learn it. ;)

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Which one???

Long ton

Short ton

Metric ton

:P

.... you choose ....  :)

57 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... please tell me : how many pounds in a ton ?  :huh:

I need a conversion factor so that I can easily figger out heavy XYZ thousand pounds is .......:(

.... pleeeeease ......   :wacko:

Which one???

Long  Short ton = 2000 pounds

Short Long ton = 2240 pounds

Metric ton = 2204.6 pounds

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Long ton = 2000 pounds

Short ton = 2240 pounds

You might want to flip those measurements. A short ton is lighter than a long ton. I don't know if a long ton is 2240, and am too lazy to look it up. But a short ton is 2000.

45 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I need a conversion factor so that I can easily figger out heavy XYZ thousand pounds is .......:(

Read this:

https://blog.prepscholar.com/how-many-pounds-in-a-ton

I find it pretty easy to go back and forth. West Point taught its entire engineering program in metric and IP, given that we were training to work with allies.  Make enough conversions and pretty soon you can visualize them in your sleep.  

As a hobby I do a lot of furniture making and have been experimenting with some wild geometries and patterns based on sine functions.  Everything is in metric so I can cut every piece using decimals instead of fractions.  Much easier to set up tools, all of which have SI and IP units on the scales.

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Do you mean a metric ton (2205 lb) (also called a tonne), a short ton (2000 lb) (also called, simply, a ton in the USA), or a long ton (2240 lb) (also called an Imperial ton)?  And for all who think you have escaped Euro-speak by talking about the 2000 lb short ton or just ton, remember that a ton is 2000 lbs avoirdupois (which is French-fried name for the system of weight based on 16 ounces or 7000 grains to the pound).

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

My '74 Norton Commando had SAE and Metric and Whitworth.

I noticed both John and Pat are confused by this.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whitworth+fasteners&t=fpas&ia=web

Here in the good old US of A we have SAE, which I think stands for something like standard American engineering. The British use Whitworth standard, or at least they used to. Pat complained about vehicles that had two different types of fasteners on them - SAE and metric. My bike had three. SAE, metric, and Whitworth.

No actually it doesn't depend. Feathers, like most things here in the states, are weighed in avoirdupois. Precious metals, on the other hand, are weighed in Troy. The troy ounce is heavier than the avoirdupois, but while there are 16 ounces in the avoirdupois pound, there are only 12 in the troy pound.

An avoirdupois pound is 7000 grains (because a grain is a grain is a grain) while a troy pound is 5760 grains.

So a pound of feathers (7000 grains) is heavier than a pound of gold (5760 grains). Quod erat demonstrandum.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I noticed both John and Pat are confused by this.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whitworth+fasteners&t=fpas&ia=web

Here in the good old US of A we have SAE, which I think stands for something like standard American engineering. The British use Whitworth standard, or at least they used to. Pat complained about vehicles that had two different types of fasteners on them - SAE and metric. My bike had three. SAE, metric, and Whitworth.

Oh, I what Whitworth fasteners are.  I am confused by why the notion of putting all 3 onto one vehicle stuck somebody as a good idea.

Archived