SASS Wire Forum

Do You Worry About Your Furry Friends?

All of my dogs have lived for at least 15 years.  My last little buddy lived to 17.  For almost two years I could not bear the thought of getting another dog and then losing him.  Fortunately just before the pandemic I found a little pup I could not resist.  He is now two and has kept me company during all this pandemic craziness. What I think about quite a bit is if he lives to 17 the chances are very high he will outlive me and I worry what will happen to him when I am gone.  Am I nuts or do other people worry about what will happen to their little friends?  Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with the situation?

When Mama died the lady next door took Denise.

I got Big Brown Dog because the owners had to move, and the new landlord did not allow pets. That's not really the same as dying, but - they had to do something with the dog.

If you don't think about it, you don't deserve a dog. When we get them, we know how it's going to end, but what they give us in return is worth it.

The last couple days I've seen TV commercials from Burt Ward, (Yes, THAT Burt Ward), about a dog food he's developed that he claims gives our pets a longer, healthier life. I don't know if it works, but when we need more food, I'm going to try it.

https://www.gentlegiantsdogfood.com/

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Are you suggesting I eat it?  I'm the one I'm worried will expire before Mr. pup-pup.

Sorry, I misread your post. :blush: In that case, I suppose that you have to make sure that there is somebody in your life who will be willing to take over for you, in case of your untimely demise.

Dear Larson,

I've thought about it many times and still done nothing about it. We still end up saving more cats. We now have three. That is the same number as we moved with in 2008. They are not the same cats.

The last two were accidental. We saved them from a neighbor who was/is clueless &*$^#%. I just count my blessings that they are alive and living with us. 

PS They are all bossy.

You worry of what will become of a creature you love? What's wrong with that? We just adopted 2 dogs and homed another from a dear friend who recently passed (natural causes) who's life was an absolute misery of health problems. She lived for love of her little dogs. Had she not had them she probably would have ended her life long ago. Plus you don't know the future. We lost a dog couple years ago that was probably (we adopted him) only 6-7 years old. He just got sick and died in a couple of days. The vet didn't know what was wrong with him either. Try to make "pre-arrangements" with someone you would trust.

JHC

My fear is that my critters wouldn't understand that I didn't mean to leave them... :(

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Dear Larson,

I've thought about it many times and still done nothing about it. We still end up saving more cats. We now have three. That is the same number as we moved with in 2008. They are not the same cats.

The last two were accidental. We saved them from a neighbor who was/is clueless &*$^#%. I just count my blessings that they are alive and living with us. 

PS They are all bossy.

Now we know where you get it....I mean you are such a lovable person....

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

My fear is that my critters wouldn't understand that I didn't mean to leave them... :(

Believe it or not, I think that they do. When my first wife died, the dogs never looked around for her. When she had gone ahead of me to a new duty station, they would look at me like they were saying "Where's Mom?"

I know that if anything happened to me and my Mary that my daughter would take our dog Maddie. Our Maddie has a lot of medical issues. I fear she won’t be with us much longer. 

We have five cats, and this type of equation fits into our thinking when we are looking at retirement, and how many cats we may have left in our lives. Our current group has only one cat that is seven years old. The rest are under four. I have no idea how old the two feral cats are that I feed in the evenings. I don’t want to ever be without a cat, but at some point the moral math will have to win. 

Archived