SASS Wire Forum

First shot acquisition?

Wyo Joe

New shooter here, cowboy or otherwise, competitions I mean, done plenty of recreational shooting over the years and owned many guns in that time, but never cared about “competing” until CAS. This got deep into my blood first match and now I want to get better

i think I’ve found a decent rhythm to my levering and timing with trigger, and likewise I can decently thumb thru my revolvers without rising the hammer down. But one problem I can’t seem to shake is acquiring that first target. 

seems like it takes me a second or so before I can register the front site on target to break that first shot. Once I’m there, I can cruise, but any advice for new shooter on how to get that first shot off faster?

it looks like I’m staring down targets then pulling the rifle up to that spot, maybe I should cheek weld and look  down my barrel at front site instead?

take it easy on my videos, like I said, NEW SHOOTER hahahaha

Do one shot drills. Draw, fire one shot, reholster, draw other pistol. Repeat thru 10 rounds. 

fo same with rifle, but just load one round as you don’t want to set it down loaded and cocked. 

Send me a PM.  We can work this through pretty easily via a video chat.  It's really all in the presentation, and your level of awareness. 

From the video's your posted, it's apparent that you're having trouble getting the front sight on the target.  Improving that is about how you present the gun to the target, draw for the pistol, shouldering, and in both cases focus.

23 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

New shooter here, cowboy or otherwise, competitions I mean, done plenty of recreational shooting over the years and owned many guns in that time, but never cared about “competing” until CAS. This got deep into my blood first match and now I want to get better

i think I’ve found a decent rhythm to my levering and timing with trigger, and likewise I can decently thumb thru my revolvers without rising the hammer down. But one problem I can’t seem to shake is acquiring that first target. 

seems like it takes me a second or so before I can register the front site on target to break that first shot. Once I’m there, I can cruise, but any advice for new shooter on how to get that first shot off faster?

it looks like I’m staring down targets then pulling the rifle up to that spot, maybe I should cheek weld and look  down my barrel at front site instead?

take it easy on my videos, like I said, NEW SHOOTER hahahaha

FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov

World Champion shooter Half A Hand Henri told me "Sue. Wich would you rather...a sec to make sure you are on target, or 5 sec for a sure miss?"

50 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Send me a PM.  We can work this through pretty easily via a video chat.  It's really all in the presentation, and your level of awareness. 

From the video's your posted, it's apparent that you're having trouble getting the front sight on the target.  Improving that is about how you present the gun to the target, draw for the pistol, shouldering, and in both cases focus.

Whatever Doc passes on you can take to the bank. His insight is invaluable. 
At some point your physical limits will be reached and your mental strength will become more important. In a perfect world those skills will grow in tandem so why not start now? Your initial hesitation appears to be a learned behavior so working on a new behavior (quicker first shot) to replace it should start now. Especially since it appears your brain is controlling the hesitation and getting your mental game in order is necessary eventually. 
Send me an address via pm and I have a partial (3 of 4) disc of Lanny Basham  mental management you can have. Disc 2 is damaged but may work. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Just for other new folks wondering, one of the things doc mentioned was that the targets I setup in my garage were way too small, so while I’m dry fire practicing I really gotta lock in and aim right on those little targets. In CAS though, the targets are close and much bigger than I was using so I changed it up for next round of practice. 

image.jpg

old setup for reference 

7A71F781-79AF-4825-ADB4-FEEA3EAEB5D1.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

Just for other new folks wondering, one of the things doc mentioned was that the targets I setup in my garage were way too small, so while I’m dry fire practicing I really gotta lock in and aim right on those little targets. In CAS though, the targets are close and much bigger than I was using so I changed it up for next round of practice. 

image.jpg

old setup for reference 

Now make sure to move those targets around periodically.  Up and down, bigger spaces between them, wider, etc.  Otherwise there's another trap that you can fall into where you get used to the array and stop using the sights.  It really plagues folks that shoot a lot of plate racks.

3 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Now make sure to move those targets around periodically.  Up and down, bigger spaces between them, wider, etc.  Otherwise there's another trap that you can fall into where you get used to the array and stop using the sights.  It really plagues folks that shoot a lot of plate racks.

yessir, will do. They’re on magnets so I’ll make sure to move them around often

17 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Nice shirt, Jack! Imo save up & see if I can find one!!!

I think my motion is getting better after talking to Doc Shapiro the other day, not arcing the pistol up and instead driving it out. 

still working on getting my eyes to focus on that front sight as I push out, must’ve spent my whole life recreationally shooting while looking at targets. Undoing some bad habits 

For any other new shooters, another good piece of advice was to go download a sheet showing a bunch of different sweeps, and while practicing try to mix up the sweeps so you don’t get stuck doing a certain sweep in your brain.

even though it’s embarrassing, more video of progress as it may help other new shooters

“Whatever you practice is what you’ll do in real life.” -Doc Shapiro

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Wyo Joe it’s good of you to share your learning experience.  After watching your live fire videos I saw another problem, where’s the smoke? Where’s the fire? :ph34r::D

@Tequila Shooter lemme learn how to shoot first, then you can pull me to the dark side :D 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:06 AM, Wyo Joe said:

image.jpg

old setup for reference 

7A71F781-79AF-4825-ADB4-FEEA3EAEB5D1.jpeg

How'd you get into MY garage?  At least they look about the same -- (the floor at least)  

Got an addition to my stable today, a Colt….. pellet gun :D

dry firing with no response was a bit boring for my taste, so I got an umarex Colt replica pellet gun. CO2 powered, the pellets go into metal casings that look like an actual bullet, single action of course, losing gate, ejector, etc. 

now I can pop off a hundred rounds a night and get actual feedback I love it

meanwhile my dog discovered her love for mud 

2F4E4663-D8E1-46C3-8A5F-11776AE9BF1B.thumb.jpeg.eba688e6689561f2496679859d3a30ba.jpeg

11 hours ago, Wyo Joe said:

Got an addition to my stable today, a Colt….. pellet gun :D

dry firing with no response was a bit boring for my taste, so I got an umarex Colt replica pellet gun. CO2 powered, the pellets go into metal casings that look like an actual bullet, single action of course, losing gate, ejector, etc. 

now I can pop off a hundred rounds a night and get actual feedback I love it

meanwhile my dog discovered her love for mud 

2F4E4663-D8E1-46C3-8A5F-11776AE9BF1B.thumb.jpeg.eba688e6689561f2496679859d3a30ba.jpeg

Good to know she is in touch with her inner equipment operator!!:D

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived