SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army - How much powder do you use?

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

I use 20 grains FFFg, but The former Ohio State champion Frontiersman Marcus Allan & former National champ Split Rail used less.

One used 15 grains & one used 17 grains.

Kept the gun recoil/movement to a minimum.

--Dawg

4 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I use 20 grains FFFg, but The former Ohio State champion Frontiersman Marcus Allan & former National champ Split Rail used less.

--Dawg

Two Questions

Do you have an extender ram?

Do you put anything between the ball and powder? If so how thick?

No, I sold mine a few years ago.  I have used a Powder Inc cylinder loader for years.

I load friday afternoon for Saturday's stage 1

I put in powder - ground corncob - round ball -- grease (60/40 Crisco/toilet bowl ring)

On Saturday, since there's only about 45 minutes until I shoot again, I load powder -- greased 1/4" felt wad -- ball on my cylinder loader.

I buy unlubed wads from Sagebrush Products, and lube them myself with Gatofeo #1 lube.

Keep the gun running well all day, & don't foul the powder.

--Dawg

I used 35 to 40 grains to fuel a 457 round ball.  I once, unknowingly, used 50 grains for a whole match.

If I'm feelin' gamey I load 25 grains and 210g conical.

Loob on top.  cookies and wads take up valuable real estate that is best occupied by powder.

20 grain spout on a Treso flask, 2F real blackpowder (Schutzen) under a .457 round ball seated with an extended rammer, schmear of beeswax /Crisco over the ball. Plenty of smoke, virtually no recoil, boundless fun.

Sometimes I throw 2 spouts full into a chamber if I want to make a statement.

:lol:

I use a well rounded 1.0 cc Lee scoop into little sample tubes.  I then fill to just below level of the cylinder with corn meal using a catsup/mustard picnic dispenser, then seat the ball firmly compressing load, then cover with Crisco.  I load on a Powder Inc loader.  I've not had a problem with knock downs either.

Hopefully this worked.  This is what I take with me to the unloading table or other location to load my cylinders.  I'm not a big fan of powder flasks.  The tubes work extremely well and means I only take what I need for each cylinder.  The flavor injector is what I use for the Crisco.  The bag is used for the lead balls.

IMG_20210908_074652393.jpg

17 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

--Dawg

I use 15 grains.  I found that recoil from heavier loads sometimes caused loading levers to pop loose, jamming revolvers.  This is easy to clear but takes time.  I use heavier loads for knockdown targets.  A Slix-Ram allows reduced charges without fillers.

30gr Goex 2F, Thompson lubed felt wad, .457 ball, loaded outside the gun with an Ultimate loader.

Anything lighter than that slowed me down.

I can shoot 12 stages without cleaning, other than taking the nipples out and using a wire brush on them after 6.

Just got back from Grafs.  They finally got in a bunch of Lee products including 457 round ball mold.  I've been waiting 9+ months for them to get this mold. 

901794593_Lee457roundballSep2021.jpg.3f51549e498b5cc34b745c52da43901e.jpg

As I was walking out, I noticed percussion caps. They have Remington #10 in their retail store.  Still listed as stock out on website.  $10.??/100.

.8 to 1 cc   But I take my cylinders out to load so pistol ram is not a problem.

I load up a hundred of these little gorpies (technical term) the night before the shoot.

IMG_0366.jpg.831a0a132bbc33a1a28909ca0cf8be6b.jpg

Archived