SASS Wire Forum

Yul Lose

My youngest son is turning 40 and he likes rum so I thought I’d get him a bottle as a gift. Don’t know much about rum so your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

@Yul Lose,

I know you are most likely talking about the plain hard liquor rum; however,  I must put in a plug for a great relaxing jamaican rum creme.

Our great Jamaican friends got us started on this very smooth,  flavorful rum creme. It definitely has the rum taste, but silky at the same time. 

Almost impossible to get in the States, but or friends supply us on return trips from their homeland. 

Order-A-Bottle-Of-Sangsters-Jamaican-Rum-Cream.....-1.thumb.jpg.9eeb69576e5447444a575ad091e6619d.jpg

Comes in 22 flavors. 

sangsters_rum_cream.thumb.jpg.8c69b6184f444fa03976a1c08a2294a8.jpg

Dictador 12 or 20 year for a top shelf rum,   Middle shelf plantation 5 year or plantation 3 stars for a white.  My boss really likes vizcaya.   Then you get into the different local small batch distillers.  Raileans in Texas makes good rums.  Liberty call in San Diego makes a good spiced rum to name a few. 

the ultimate bar for a rum lover is smugglers cove in San Francisco. Worth the stop if you are in the area. 

Forty-five years ago, before I climbed on the wagon, my favorite rum was Black Flag Jamaican golden rum.  It was "creme" rum and as smooth as silk and I never got a hangover from it.  Not once!  

They stopped making it about 1980.  I think the company sold out to someone, but never knew for sure.

No advice on rum, but the Bundaberg Rum commercials on You Tube are an absolute hoot!

Mount Gay black barrel is very good  Bevmo had it in stock last time I was there.

On the other hand I picked up a bottle of Cutwater rum at least they call it rum, Personally I don't know what to call it, Cutwater is a local company with a very good reputation so I was pretty disappointed by it.

My second ex-wife was a bartender and a rum and coke drinker. She always drank Bacardi rum. I'm not a fan of rum myself but she was!!

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Forty-five years ago, before I climbed on the wagon, my favorite rum was Black Flag Jamaican golden rum.  It was "creme" rum and as smooth as silk and I never got a hangover from it.  Not once!  

They stopped making it about 1980.  I think the company sold out to someone, but never knew for sure.

Stopped because you quit?

let's start with the question what is your budget...

next question - does he like it neat for sipping or mixed?

third question - to you best knowledge, does he prefer sweeter or drier rums....

if neat:

I would start with good wide available options in $50 range:

Diplomatico Grand Reserva - amazing Venezuelan rum

Flor De Cana 12 years - Nicaraguan

both are on a sweet side of Rum

Appleton Estate higher end rums like a 12 years old is good

if he prefers drier rums - nothing beats Dominican Brugal Extra Viejo or 1888

now, if we go a bit higher in the price range.,  Ron Zacapa XO is amazing and Brugal Siglo De Oro is out of this world!

and if you want to make a one of the kind rum gift at no expense spared - $2000 bottle of Papa Andres from Brugal is your ticket

An interesting tidbit. The Bacardi Rum bat logo was used as the Squadron Emblem on a United States' Sopwith Camel night fighter squadron in WW1.

As mentioned above, a price point would be nice. Then we need to know if it is a sipper, or mixer. Silly to buy a good bottle and mix it with coke. These are three good sippers:

Diplomatico Rum Reserva Exclusiva -- $39

Mount Gay Extra Old Rum -- $55

Diplomatico Rum Reserva Exclusiva -- $38

7 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

No advice on rum, but the Bundaberg Rum commercials on You Tube are an absolute hoot!

......... yeah, .... we got lots of them polar-ized bears down under here .......  :mellow:

Bacardi spiced or Oakheart, but they do have some special reserve but its pretty pricey.

Archived