SASS Wire Forum

Firing the 40 mm Bofors

Chantry

He talks for a while, but the shooting starts at 1:50, you also see what a 2 lb round @ 2890 fps does to a mannequin at about 10 yards.

Link:  

This 40mm projectile has been around for as long as I can remember.  My dad picked up it somewhere during his 30 years in the Navy.   These things always fascinated me and I remember in the 1950s having a "Pom, Pom" gun.  It had a little plastic radar screen and the gun operated on batteries.  I think it was made by REMCO.

DSC_0002 (1).jpeg

It is a bit harder to hit a target moving, say, 150 kts, coming at ya, but a set of quad-40's aboard our Navy ships in WWII took out a number of kamikazes before they could do damage.  Unfortunately, not enough of them! :(  Movies show the sailors feeding clip after clip into the ammo trays. :FlagAm:

On 9/6/2021 at 7:13 PM, Chantry said:

He talks for a while, but the shooting starts at 1:50, you also see what a 2 lb round @ 2890 fps does to a mannequin at about 10 yards.

Link:  

Wonder the 3rd through 4 rounds he fired in full auto actually landed. If you watch the gun carriage the elevation axis moves every time it fires. It gained several degrees of elevation after each round fired.  Looks like 10 to 15 degrees total. :(

The cut away to the rounds hitting near the target was not the same firing sequence.

I always liked watching FPS Russia's videos, which were always entertaining and sometimes a little over the top. Unfortunately his antics got the attention of ATF, and after several attempts to find something to nail him with they finally got him on a felony drug possession charge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPSRussia

Damn Chantry, that just made my afternoon.  If you need a 40mm for home defense I think you may have other problems, like a really bad neighborhood or zombies.

Hey Larsen, yes you should buy it and give it a special place of honor in your hobby room.

One sold at auction for $23K.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/74/1422/impressive-and-desirable-world-war-ii-us-bofors-40-mm

I always thought of Bofors as a naval anti aircraft weapon in a dual or quad configuration. Is that right?  Is it still used? In the US Navy?

A trusted friend was holding forth on the Bofors one evening; he said it was the only ordinance used by all participants in the Second Disagreement.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I always thought of Bofors as a naval anti aircraft weapon in a dual or quad configuration. Is that right?  Is it still used? In the US Navy?

Army, and Navy used them in WWII. The Air Force is the only branch of the US military still using them. 

The Navy quit using them on active ships after the Korean War. They did remain installed on the ships of the Mothball Fleet till the 70s.

The Army used then up through the Vietnam war.

The Air Force is still using them on the AC-130U gun ships. However, they will soon be phased out as the AC-130U is  replaced by the AC-130W. 

Bofors 40 mm gun

Archived