SASS Wire Forum

Reason to watch those medieval movies again

I saw this a long time ago, and I have been trying to figure it out ever since. I'm assuming that the defender is backing up the stairs, trying to keep the attacker at bay as he climbs. Now, looking at the picture, if I am backing up the stairs, my right side is to the wall. This limits my ability to do anything with my sword other than do cross body slashes from left to right, along with thrusts and parries. This seems to limit my power. The climbing defender, if right handed has the ability to not only thrust, but to swing the sword out over the wide open area for more power. What am I missing?

Edit: It was just explained to me that the picture is not a good illustration of the point. There should be an inner wall instead of a bannister. The defender, if pressing his left side to the inner wall, is protected from strong blows, while the curve on the right side gives him room to swing his sword better.

Actually that picture is a terrible example.

Now this one. The sheriff of Nottingham is backing up the stairs. He has all sorts of room to swing his sword, while Robin Hood, who is going forward up the stairs, has no room to swing his sword at all. There's a wall in the way.

1*AUHgN_xq0atTRQJk30KydA.png

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Together with Robert Taylor as Ivanhoe (opposite Elizabeth Taylor, at her gorgeous, youthful best) Robin Hood was the best matinee sword fight of the era.  Nobody dies like Basil Rathbone.

Someone (besides me) was watching TCM today.:D

10 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

"The steps were also uneven to . . ." 

At least that's what the mason told the Lord of the the keep.

They made one step a little higher than the others (usually 6 or 8 steps up) and it was a common feature that carried on until the 17th Century in some parts of the world.  Folks that lived there knew where it was and were used to it.  Invaders didn't know where it was.

In that tight a quarters, even a moment's distraction could be fatal.  Even if the first guy didn't stumble, somebody behind him falling up the stairs could start a domino effect of stumbles into the next man up.

The clock-wise spiral on the stairs would also favor the modern right handed shooter just as much as the medieval swordsman.  The inner wall would give cover or concealment (depending on construction) while the gun being near the outside wall would give maximum distance down the stairs.

Archived